• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FPHB2899LFB Frigidaire water filter very slow - researched

kpbelote

Premium Member
Model Number
FPHB2899
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a Frigidaire FPHB2899LFB french door refrigerator. I've read a lot of posts about slow water issues with the Frigidaire water filters. I've replace filters Frigidaire brand ULTRAWF at least ten times - after about 1 month it takes about 15-20 seconds to fill a pint glass, after 2-3 months, it takes about one minute and thirty seconds.

Here are the steps I have taken from reading past forum posts:

1. Checked water from supply line - full blast
2. Unplugged brown tube to water filter from inlet valve - water comes out of valve full blast
3. Unplugged white return tube from water filter - very slow output

Then I checked the following:
1. Inside refrigerator, disconnected brown input tube from water filter housing - full blast
2. Inside refrigerator, disconnected white output tube from water filter housing - very slow

It seems the problem is either with the filter (which seems unlikely because I am using their brand and replaced many times) or something going on inside the filter housing. I'm not sure what else to check at this point though - have not tried to disassemble the full housing of the water filter (I just removed the housing cover to access the tubes so far).

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!
Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kevin,

Here's the parts diagram for this model: Parts for Frigidaire FPHB2899LFB: Shelves Parts

#139 is the water filter base assembly.

#F137 is the water filter, you can also see it lists a filter by-pass there as well: Frigidaire 242294402 Water Filter Bypass

So let me ask you this: Each time you replace the filter the pressure is fine for about a month? Then it goes sour again after that?

Do you have reverse osmosis? Or a water softener that supplies the water to your whole house?

Jake

kpbelote

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

I considered the bypass but then would have to add a whole home filter or at least something to the refrigerator line - to answer your question below, no I don't have any other filter in the house.

To your first question, I don't know if it is always a month. It seems like a very short period of time when the water comes out at a reasonable rate and then just starts slowing down more and more until it's not worth waiting the time it takes to fill a glass. We have somewhat hard water here in the city of Atlanta, but I have friends with the same fridge and filter and same city water and there dispenser comes out faster after 6 months or more than mine does on day one.

So do you recommend replacing the filter base assembly, or do you think I will always have problems and would be better off bypassing the whole thing and putting in my own filter externally? Keep in mind I don't know how to do the external filter, and am worried now that even if I do and there is a problem with the base assembly I will have the same problem.

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Kevin,

Since your water pressure does seem to go back to normal when you replace the filter, I don't think the filter base would be the problem, if the filter base was causing this, it would keep the low pressure ALL the time, even after you replaced the filter.

Now I own a Frigidaire FGHC2331PFAA and mine uses the exact same ULTRAWF filter as yours, and my water pressure decreased after about 2-3 months of replacing my filter, and I'm condering purchasing the filter by-pass myself.

Yes, You can always install an external water filter in the back of your refrigerator in your water supply line.

Here's a good universal one:
GXRTDR Refrigerator Water Filter

Jake

kpbelote

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Checking back in on this. I planned to take your advice and by a bypass filter. The first one I bought was defective so I used my last new ULTRAWF for testing purposes while waiting. Once newly replaced it mostly matched its specs - 0.5gpm. Of course with that slow throughput and a 200 gallon capacity, it makes sense for it to have problems quickly. I decided to replace with a Filtrete 4IL-CLC-S01 inline filter having 0.75gpm throughput and 750 gallon capacity. Problem is, once I had the bypass filter in and went to install the filtrete behind my fridge, the tubing I have was slightly too wide to fit into the filtrete fittings. The tubing behind my fridge is the original that was installed when my fridge was put in and all the lines look to be of the same width. They aren't cut poorly because they are the factory ends where I tried to insert the filter (there was previously an extender piece that connected two fresh ended tubes where I planned to insert the filter). It looks like the tubing width for my fridge is supposed to match the tubing size for the filter, but it is definitely slightly too thick - as if the opening is the same but the width of the plastic is slightly too big. Any suggestions for how to get it to fit? Is this a common problem? I'm hesitant to replace the filtrete with another filter because I anticipate the same problem. But I don't know how to downsize/upsize the tubing I currently have so it will fit into the inline filter while also fitting the valaves on my fridge. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You are installing this in-line filter from the water supply that goes to the refrigerator correct? Most are copper water lines, some are nylon water lines. Both should be 1/4" water supply lines.

What does that Filtrete say it hooks up to? What diameter in inches?

Here's the one I prefer:
1/4 Inch Water Line Installation Kit 5304493869

Jake

kpbelote

Premium Member
I have a water supply line that goes from the wall to the water inlet valve - it is braided with a threaded metal end and looks like the one in your photo. This is NOT where I am trying to install the filter. Instead I am inserting the filter on the standard plastic push-in tubing that goes between the valve and the factory filter. That it, along that line is an extender piece that two tubing pieces push into on both sides to extend the length of the tubing. I am simply removing the extender and placing the filter in its place.

The tubing is the same plastic tubing that goes from the valve to the various points in the fridge (filter, dispenser, ice maker, etc). The filter I am using is the Filtrete 4IL-CLC-S01 which has push-in connectors on both ends. My problem is that the factory plastic tubing all over the back of my fridge is about 1/16th of an inch too wide to push into the filter (even though it pushes fine into the water inlet valve and various parts of the fridge like the factory filter housing). I measured the diameter of the inside of the filtrete filter push connector opening and it looks to be 1/4". I am not sure what to do since I need to push in tubing, but the tubing I have is so very slightly too wide. Also, to reiterate, this is not poorly cut or jagged tubing but factory ends in perfect condition. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 4il-clc-s01-filtretetm-universal-in-line-refrigerator-filter.jpg
    4il-clc-s01-filtretetm-universal-in-line-refrigerator-filter.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 215

kpbelote

Premium Member
To be clear, the connections are quick connect fittings with the small collar. I guess it is possible that my water lines are 3/8" instead of 1/4". If that is the case, what can I do to go from 3/8" water line to 1/4" quick connect fitting, and then again from 1/4" quick connect fitting on the other side to 3/8" water line?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Instead I am inserting the filter on the standard plastic push-in tubing that goes between the valve and the factory filter.
Its not intended to be installed there, so we can't assist you, you will be modifying your refrigerator.

All IN-LINE filters MUST GO BETWEEN the water supply line from your house, to the water inlet valve where it hooks up to in the back of the refrigerator.

Jake

kpbelote

Premium Member
OK, I didn't realize it was supposed to be installed there. So how do you install a filter like the filtrete I have with quick release openings onto the water line you mention that has a threaded connection - and whose inlet valve requires the same threaded connection?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You buy any IN-LINE water filter kit, it comes with all the connections you need to install it, and it comes with clear instructions too.

I only install the ones like I listed in post#4.

I have never installed the one you got.

Jake