• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FPHB2899PF1 Frigidaire Refrigerator - Neither FF Ice Maker nor freezer ice maker making ice

steelpanz

Premium Member
Model Number
FPHB2899PF1
Brand
Frigidaire
TL;DR - Replaced my ice maker with the one linked below. Ran diagnostics to confirm water poured and the tray rotated. However, outside of the diagnostic, water is not being commanded to pour into the tray to freeze. Neither fresh food nor freezer ice makers are having water pour.

--------

Hello. A few years ago, the fresh food (FF) ice maker stopped making ice, but we just let it sit there because the freezer ice maker was still working. A few months ago, I decided to give the repair a try by removing the FF ice maker components all the way down to the point where the evap grid fins (hope that's the right term) were exposed. The only damage I noticed was the plastic ice tray was cracked. So I ordered a replacement tray, which took a couple weeks to arrive. In the meantime, I left the FF components out of the unit and it was at that time that the freezer stopped making ice. And on top of that, there was ice building up on the floor of the freezer. We simply would chip it out every few days and wait for it to do it again.

We finally decided to simply defrost for a couple of days. However, that didn't seem to resolve anything as the water would freeze again within a couple of days on the freezer floor and the ice maker still wasn't making ice. I assumed the ice maker could've stopped because of the power connector that was unplugged above where the FF box belongs. So it made me wonder if there could possibly be an interruption there that I wasn't aware of.

With that, we finally received the replacement ice maker part (https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/243297613/4959766) and installed after spending literally a day cleaning out the components, pouring hot water in the FF ice maker drain and the freezer drain to the evap tray below the fridge (which, this seems to at least have resolved the ice floor issue because we haven't had that happen again over the past month). I replaced the foam insulation around the FF box and plugged everything back in and ran the diagnostics.

The good news is that the diagnostics showed a successful ice tray rotation and even had water come out (looks like the test just pours out a few ounces and doesn't do a full tray). About a day later, that tray finally dispensed the water poured in the diagnostic. However, even after a couple days - and even a month later (today) - it has yet to fill the tray even once. And the freezer ice maker still isn't producing ice or even pouring water into the tray.

So with that being said, and I know it was a lot, but what's a good next step? The diagnostics show the FF components at least work, but the command isn't sending to pour water into either tray. I've read about something called a thermistor, which I'm unsure where that's located. But I do see the ice maker linked above has a sensor below the plastic that's locked into the tray. The prior defective unit did not have that white sensor latched in and, instead, it was free to dangle in the FF ice tray.

What should I be looking at next on this? Thanks for reading my long manifesto

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
looks like the test just pours out a few ounces and doesn't do a full tray
it has yet to fill the tray even once. And the freezer ice maker still isn't producing ice or even pouring water into the tray.

Here's the part you need:
frigidaire-valve-water-242253002-ap5669874_03_m.jpg

steelpanz

Premium Member
Thank you for the feedback! So when I run a diagnostic, SHOULD that test include a full tray of water or was it supposed to just be a splash?

steelpanz

Premium Member
One quick question, though. If that did kick off in diagnostic mode, even if it were just an ounce or two of water, wouldn't it at least try to kick off an ounce or two in normal operating mode before it cut off? Just wanting to make sure I'm ordering the right part before spending the $ on it. Thanks again for your help

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Just wanting to make sure I'm ordering the right part
I understand. Here's the service test for your ice maker from the tech sheet. Simultaneously press "/\" and "+" for 10 seconds. Use "-" and "+" to scroll through the tests.

Snapshot_2.jpg

skiter29

Premium Member
i actully have the same problem but bottom freezer icemaker works fine but my problem is almost exactly as this one i did diganotics
the twist tray turned and when i did the water test water did come out but it was just enough to fill a small dixi cup thermister it said -3 it did evently say open im assuming because i had doors open but when i did the icemaker fan test that did not come on i am assuming the water valve is good i have had this issue one other time when checks as this one was the same but when i changed the icemaker fan motor still did not run in diganotics lost

steelpanz

Premium Member
Interesting. And to add onto my original issue, I came home today and noticed the FF ice maker has ice leaking out the backside and freezing just outside the ice box portion. And that’s even after I applied new insulation tape to it. So yeah, good times here