FPHD2491KF0 sounds like it's eating gravel when draining

Calab

Premium Member
Model Number
FPHD2491KF0
Brand
Frigidaire
For the past month or so, our FPHD2491KF0 has randomly made a sound like it's chewing up gravel when draining.

Yesterday, the controller board failed - the relay for the drain pump stopped working. I was able to replace the relay and get the drain pump working again (it's in another thread) but while troubleshooting I had most of the dishwasher apart.

I can't see or feel anything that is caught in the sump of the dishwasher. The drain pump was clean and empty when I checked it. The impeller on the drain pump didn't have any free play in it and ran smoothly when I hooked it directly to 120v.

Any ideas how I can identify the source of this noise and fix it?

This dishwasher really is a piece of junk, but I can't spare $600-800 to replace it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Post a video of this noise your hearing and upload it to Youtube then link the video link here.

Jake

Calab

Premium Member
I've been trying catch it and record with my phone all week and not having any luck.

I guess it's a good thing that the noise doesn't seem to be happening as often.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, no worries.

But that noise issue is more than likely a problem in the drain pump itself.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump 5304497818

Jake

bmesc

Premium Member
Just wanted to update future inquirers on this subject. The noise you hear is most likely something stuck in the drain pump housing. I tracked down my problem and finally discovered a cherry pit inside the drain pump housing. I did not pull the dishwasher out and flip it over, but I was able to take off the drain hose and I could see inside the housing (using a small, telescoping inspection mirror). I used my finger and a stick to reach inside and was able to spin the blades around. However, this is not how I got the pit out. With the hose removed, and drainage bowls underneath, I ran the pump (hold down Air Dry + Start until panel lights, then move display forward to the number 7 and close door) for a brief moment and out popped the pit. So, sometimes using your finger or stick alone does not find it. It may have been stuck behind the pump blades and bouncing around there. Flushing water through pushed it out.

Coincidentally, I also discovered the drainage hose was also clogged. To unclog that, I first tried using a wet vac to suction it out. I first tried inserting the hose end into the vacuum hose and making an airtight seal with my hands, but that didn't work. Then I tried doing the same thing placing the vacuum suction over the air gap vent sticking out on the sink, but that didn't work. Finally I got it to work by placing the vacuum exhaust over the air gap vent and out popped a small piece of concrete from the drainage hose end (which I wrapped with a towel in a bowl to absorb the water in the line).

With all the filters and small hoses found on a dishwasher, it is amazing what can somehow get through and stuck inside. I have found other cherry pit sized objects in various places before. It took me about 3 hours of trial and error; I was about to give up and buy a new pump, but I could tell it was probably just something rattling around, stuck inside the drain pump housing.

Hope this helps