• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FPUS2686LF Frigidaire Refrigerator Won't Make Ice But Water Works Normally

prixgtx

Premium Member
Model Number
FPUS2686LF
Brand
Frigidaire
This fridge is about 8 years old. It stopped making ice, but the water dispenser works just fine. Ice mechanism still works. I put water in the ice tray hopper and it makes ice cubes, and the gear dumped them into the bin.

Wondering if it could be the water inlet valve, or if there could be a blockage in the line, or the line is frozen? Would greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If you want to see if your ice maker is calling for water, pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower access panel and locate the water inlet valve, where your water supply line hooks up to.

You'll need a multimeter to see if your getting 120 volts to the ice maker GREEN SOLENOID side of the water inlet valve. The GREEN SOLENOID is for the ice maker water. Just remove the plastic electrical connector that goes to it, then put your meter leads in each one and then cycle the ice maker(turn the gear 1/4 turn clockwise then let it rotate on its own) and watch your meter for 120 volts towards the end of the cycle. If you don't get 120 volts, then your ice maker is the culprit.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
241798231 Ice Maker

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
242252702 Water Valve

Let us know what you find.

Jake

prixgtx

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

First off, thanks so much for taking the time to offer your expertise.

Attached is a picture of the water inlet you mentioned. When the gears on the ice maker are turning, I'm getting about 5 volts on the GREEN SOLENOID. When I call for water, the YELLOW SOLENOID shoots up to 120 volts. When I call for water, the BROWN SOLENOID shoots up to about 66 volts. But I can't seem to get anything more that 5 volts out of the GREEN SOLENOID.

Are you saying this puts the issue with the actual ice maker part? As I mentioned earlier, if I pour water in manually, it makes ice and ejects it.

Thanks Jake!

Greg

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Greg,

--->If you don't get 120 volts, then your ice maker is the culprit.

Since your only seeing 5 volts, then your ice maker is the culprit, order the ice maker.

Jake

prixgtx

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

I quick grabbed an ice maker and installed. It does not appear to be doing anything different. Still not making ice. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Cycle it and check for 120 volts at the water inlet valve like you did before, I've replaced about 100 of these ice makers in my 32 years as a career tech and they have all worked great.

Jake