• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FRA186MT2 Frigidaire A/C won't turn off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevon

Premium Member
Model Number
FRA186MT2
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a 4 year old Frigidaire FRA186MT2 which has been working great for years until a few weeks ago. The evaporator started to freeze solid with ice blocking air flow. Then I noticed that compressor does not cycle ever! thermostat setting or even the power button turned off makes no difference. A ghost has moved in and has taken control of my A/C! The only way to stop compressor is to manually unplug the unit! I guess a relay on the control board is welded contacts shut (on). Replace control board?

Stephen IMG_2016.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Stephen,

Yes, you will need to order and replace the control board, and that will fix it.:)

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
5304476951 Pc Board

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

stevon

Premium Member
Jake,

Yesterday decided to try to fix the old A/C again, the new control board. Went to the rental house but I was not prepared, had no soldering iron, shrink tube and no wiring diagram. yesterday I had clipped a wire's insulation by mistake but had no way to fix it without a 30 mile trip. Today I arrived with everything needed or so I thought. The wiring diagram did not match what I was seeing. disgusted I went home and did some research. Armed with the correct diagram, drove back and rewired the original controller board, tested the plug and got 1300 ohms (no short) and plugged it in. It works! Not trusting the old board I put in the new controller board, removed the sludge in the bottom of the A/C pan, tested OK and now I'm in business, at least for a while anyways. Still going to look for a cheap replacement A/C deal though for the future, new and old board comparison below

Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.