Freezer cooling poorly

cowman

Premium Member
Model
Heavy Duty
Brand
Gibson
This is an upright Gibson Freezer.Model number GFU21M#AW0
The freezer is not freezing food at bottom and some in door of freezer. There is ice build up at top. I had some pretty good ice build up at top and about a month ago we emptied and defrosted freezer before filling with a new beef. I watched closely and all appeared to freeze properly. after a couple of weeks I noticed ice build up at the top quite quickly. All appeared to be still freezing good. Then I happened to pull something out of bottom last week and it was cold and partially frozen but bottom side was thawed. I noticed some stuff in door is not frozen either. I have emptied bottom shelf and door. I put a water jug on bottom shelf and it will not freeze. Compressor is very hot and it almost appears the heat is coming through the bottom of the freezer. The door seals good and other stuff higher up is frozen still. Any ideas and what do I check first?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't find that model number but from your description it sounds like this freezer is not a frost free model. Each shelf is part of the evaporator. If one or more of the shelves is not frosting up then the problem can be a bad compressor, refrigerant leak or even a system restriction, all expensive repairs for a 10 year old freezer.