• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Freezer defrost/freeze continuously with clicking sound

fpgm3

Premium Member
Model: KSRG25FKWH01
Build Date: 03-01 (March 2001?)

Problem started last weekend when I hear clicking sound (2 clicks at a time with 1-2 seconds interval) from the fridge. Try to ignore it but then found out the freezer is going through freeze and defrost continuously. The clicking sound seems to conincide with the defrost activity (i.e. click means defrost or else it's freeze). The fridge section is running fine fan kicks in when door opens too long. Could this relate to some control or relay module?

This is my first try in refrigerator repair and hope it works or else I will invest in a new unit over repairing an 8 years old which may last for another 2-3 years. Keeping my finger crossed!! :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you notice the clicking from inside the refrigerator section in the temp. control console?

If so It sounds like your adaptive defrost control board is bad, its #6 here:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...4020-00010.png
Its in the temp. control console.

#25 trim just un-snaps, don't worry you won't break it.:) Get a flathead screwdriver and just pry at a corner then it all will un-snap, and the screws are underneath it.

There should be 2 screws in front and 2 screws underneath that come out and the console with drop down a bit to change it, the defrost control is held in with 2 screws.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

Here's the defrost board for this model you can order:
Manufacturer part number 4388932 is RepairClinic item number 844415

Jake<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

fpgm3

Premium Member
The clicking sound is coming from the bottom of the fridge. They come as a set of 2 where first and second clicks are separated by approx 8-10 seconds. The next set comes a few minutes later. I also noticed that the compressor is on and it seems to be at different load condition when you hear the clicks (i.e. ummmm then hummm). Could this still be the defrost control board gone bad and keep triggering the relay underneath to go on and off?

A closer look reviewed a lot of dirt trapped on the bottom grill and all over inside. Could some relays gone bad instead of the control board?
Btw, I never know that fridge needs vacuum.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It could be the compressor start relay clicking. You would need to pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then take off the lower back access panel and see if you pinpoint if its coming from the compressor.

Jake

fpgm3

Premium Member
I didn't have a chance to check the compressor start relay yet but the fridge side is not cold this morning. Milk is just a bit below room temp. Cold air is still coming from the top vent but weak. There is absolutely no air from the bottom vent (right above the vegetable basket). Is the bottom vent for return air?

The freezer is working now and no clicking. But yesterday seems to be more in the defrost mode as clicking continuously.

Does this refrigerator still worth to fix or time for a new one? I need to make a decision quick or no more cold storage plus trashing a lot of stuff. Appreciate your help! Any good recommendation on a simple fridge (never use water dispenser but size is important).

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, bottom vent is air return.

Look at your back panel inside the freezer, is there frost build-up on it?

How many members of your family live in the same household? If a lot then its better to invest in a new refrigerator.

Sears has a good selection.

Jake