• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Freezer drawer stuck

mickdoug

Premium Member
Model Number
kbfa20erss
Brand
KitchenAid
freezer drawer cannot be opened. It may have locked onto inner sliding tray when it closed. water leaks below left front drawer. can drawer panel be removed for access to interior?

mickdoug

Premium Member
freezer drawer stuck

Jake, I have the same manual, and page 7 does not help. The drawer cannot be pulled open. It is not a basket problem. Can the drawer be
dismantled? There seems to be no screws or access points.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh ok, I see what your saying, No, the screws to remove the door are inside, you can't pull the freezer door/drawer open at all?

I think I remember having one like this as well, only solution is to use force pulling it open, you may need someone to help you hold the refrigerator in place while you pull hard on the door.

Don't hurt yourself over this, if your leery about doing that, by all means call KitchenAid to come out to do this for you, a back injury is not worth the cost of having KitchenAid come out.

Jake

mickdoug

Premium Member
Jake: Correct, I cannot pull the drawer out. I think the basket may have lodged against something on the inside. Kitchenaid has scheduled a tech on the 19th, and if it has to be damaged to be opened it may possibly be covered, my hope. I've turned the water off. thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes let KitchenAid do it.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

mickdoug

Premium Member
Jake, Local Kitchenaid rep advised to power off and wait for freezer to melt which I did. Over 3 days I was able to shake the drawer sideways and pull it out. The ice cube tray was a solid block of ice with the lever stuck down within the ice. Other water had iced below the ice cube maker wall but sticking of drawer was caused by water that had pooled at bottom of drawer and became frozen with the lower basket.
Little water had actually melted so some chipping was required to release lever. Thanks for your time. Problem solved.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Jake