• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Freezer not cool enough GE Monogram ZIF36NMILH

Human01011000

Premium Member
Model Number
ZIF36NMILH
Brand
GE
I just bought a home with a GE Monogram Freezer (ZIF36NMILH) manufactured in 2008. As far as I can tell, the fridge (which matches, but is a separate unit, I believe) works fine, but the freezer is not cold enough. It barely keeps ice frozen, and things like ice cream and frozen fruit thaw quickly. I don't know the exact internal temp, but I have a freezer thermometer coming later today and will update this post at that time. We've defrosted the whole freezer both by: 1) disconnecting power and letting it sit for 12 hours and by 2) repeatedly advancing the defrost timer to the defrost interval with the door open (approximately 5-6 times for a total of 2.5 - 3 hours). While there was some frost on the evaporator coils before the defrost, I don't see anymore now.

There is an audible clicking sound coming from the defrost timer, it sounds like a clock with regular clicking occurring more than once per second. I will test the defrost timer when I get my multimeter, but that might will not be until tomorrow when the rest of our stuff arrives. Here is a link to a video showing the inner workings of the freezer. If you have the sound on, you can hear the clicking. I know that the condenser is a bit dusty and plan to clean it, but I don't think that's the issue. The condenser coils are not getting very warm at all, possibly the same temperature as the ambient air. The compressor is a little warm, maybe 90-95F, but definitely not hot. The evaporator coils do not feel very cold either, but they do feel a little cold, so the system must be pumping some heat.

What would you recommend for a next trouble-shooting step? I'm pretty handy, but also very conservative and careful. I'd prefer to avoid a service call, even if it means that this repair takes a week or two (I am patient), but I know my own limits and will not be messing with the closed system at all. Any suggestions welcome.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Human01011000

Premium Member
Update 1: Despite the condenser coils not getting very warm, some of the evaporator coils were covered with frost within a few hours of the freezer being allowed to run normally. Photo.

Does anyone know how to access the evaporator fan on this model?
That clicking sounds like the defrost timer, its #648 here:

Jake
I picked up my multimeter this morning and checked the evaporator coil fan. It did not pass a continuity test. I’ve ordered a replacement, and hope that will fix the problem. Sounds like I should also order a new defrost timer though too. Thanks for your advice. I’ll update the thread after installing the new fan motor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also if your can take a photo of the evaporator coil, so we can see the frost pattern of it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does anyone know how to access the evaporator fan on this model?
Just remove the back panel inside the entire evaporator cover inside the freezer and you should see it.

Jake

Human01011000

Premium Member
Thanks, I think I figured out how to access the evaporator fan. If I’ve identified it correctly it’s at the top of the freezer behind the light. I’m assuming there’s only one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member