• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Freezer of Kitchenaid Refrigerator model #KRFF707ESS01 not functioning optimally.

MonaS

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF707ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

Firstly, I’d really like to thank all the thread contributors on this blog. It’s been such a great help while trying to navigate through the issues with our refrigerator these past few days.

We have a KitchenAid french-door bottom freezer model #KRFF707ESS01 SR.NO K7320XXXX, so I believe it doesn’t fall within the range of the technical service pointer (TSP).

The issue began with a small water pool outside the refrigerator, we noticed the ice in the ice maker was melting. We dumped the remaining ice and turned off the ice maker, not sure if it makes any difference, but we don’t consume ice on daily basis, just once in a while.

Up until now the freezer was working fine, but the next day I noticed the items were not rock solid, they were getting softer, but still very cold. All this time and till now the refrigerator section has been working just fine.

We ran the diagnostics and got the error codes 06 and 15.
Code 06 for Defrost heater/ect showed up as 01 – Bi-metal closed.
Code 15 for Ice level sensor showed as 01 – Bin full, when it was empty. (I’m assuming this is for the ice maker bin)

We cleaned the dust on the coils at the back and the front bottom exterior, with a vacuum cleaner. It helped a little, we had a tech stop by to check the compressor, he said it works fine and the Freon seems fine as well. He said there might be a blockage somewhere as the readings on the meter (not sure what it’s called) was fluctuating a little but did show within range at times, so he did not want to add excessive Freon.

We then went on to empty the freezer section and removed the drawers to access the evaporator coils, it had a lot of ice. We then used a blow dryer to melt that ice (learnt it later from another tech we spoke with on the phone, that it’s a NO NO to use a blow dryer). We checked the evaporator fan, and it was working fine, closed everything up and then put some food in the freezer. We ran the diagnostics again and at this point the error Code 06 had been corrected to 02 – Bi-Metal open. But the error code 15 still shows as 01 – Bin full when its actually empty.

Overnight the things are not frozen in the freezer but are very cold.

We are not sure what should be our next step, as this seems to be fixable to us.
We would appreciate your inputs.

TIA,
Mona

Attachments

• IMG_9256.jpg
    IMG_9256.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9266.jpg
    IMG_9266.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 18

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
we had a tech stop by to check the compressor,
You have a sealed system problem. That "tech" should have known that. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value. Check your warranty. Some machines have a 5 year warranty on the sealed system.
it’s a NO NO to use a blow dryer
Where are you finding these guys? Unplug the machine and use a hair dryer to defrost all the ice and frost on those coils. Put a couple towels down. After it's all out, put everything back together including the cover over the coils. Set the controls to the factory settings. After 24 hours with few door openings, leave the machine plugged in and remove the cover. Check the frost pattern. You want to see a very light coat of white frost on all the coils top to bottom. A partial frost pattern indicates a sealed system problem. This is a normal frost pattern:
R-frost pattern normal.jpg

This is a sealed system problem:

R-frost pattern sealed system fd.jpg
R-frost pattern leak.jpg

paulhl

Premium Member
How the hell do these "techs" check the system without tapping into it and since when do all of these systems have access valves? When I do that it's $300.00 minimum.

rickgburton

Staff member
I can tell if there's a sealed system problem just by looking at the frost pattern on the evaporator. If there's a sealed system issue, no matter what it is, restriction, leak or compressor, it's an expensive repair. I charge $450 for a filter/drier replacement and that's the least expensive repair. Up to $1000+ for a compressor change out with a leak repair somewhere in between. If my customer doesn't want to pay the minimum for a sealed system repair (restriction in the drier or cap tube, filter/drier replacement), there's no point adding a service valve and connecting a set of gauges. I leave it at "sealed system problem" and collect a service call fee ($50). Now, if my customer says they would pay for a filter/drier replacement but not a leak repair or compressor replacement, I charge $25 for a service valve and an additional $50 for labor ($125) and I can tell them exactly what the problem is in the sealed system. (Most of the time I can tell what the problem is with the sealed system without connecting gauges but not always.) If the problem is a refrigerant leak, depending on the size, for the $125 I'll add some gas to bring up the pressure but I explain that it may last a few months or it may last a few hours. It usually gives them enough time to find a new refrigerator.

rickgburton

MonaS

Premium Member
How the hell do these "techs" check the system without tapping into it and since when do all of these systems have access valves? When I do that it's $300.00 minimum.
Thank you for the reply Paul, this tech was not our first option. It was a weekend and he was the only one willing to stop by. We really needed a second opinion at that point.

MonaS

Premium Member
I can tell if there's a sealed system problem just by looking at the frost pattern on the evaporator. If there's a sealed system issue, no matter what it is, restriction, leak or compressor, it's an expensive repair. I charge $450 for a filter/drier replacement and that's the least expensive repair. Up to $1000+ for a compressor change out with a leak repair somewhere in between. If my customer doesn't want to pay the minimum for a sealed system repair (restriction in the drier or cap tube, filter/drier replacement), there's no point adding a service valve and connecting a set of gauges. I leave it at "sealed system problem" and collect a service call fee ($50). Now, if my customer says they would pay for a filter/drier replacement but not a leak repair or compressor replacement, I charge $25 for a service valve and an additional $50 for labor ($125) and I can tell them exactly what the problem is in the sealed system. (Most of the time I can tell what the problem is with the sealed system without connecting gauges but not always.) If the problem is a refrigerant leak, depending on the size, for the $125 I'll add some gas to bring up the pressure but I explain that it may last a few months or it may last a few hours. It usually gives them enough time to find a new refrigerator.

rickgburton

Thank you for the reply, Rick.
I really appreciate your time and input.
As you are confident that this is a sealed system problem, I checked and we fall under the 5 year warranty for the sealed systems, since the refrigerator was purchased in March of 2018.
I have scheduled a visit by KitchenAid approved service provider, so they can confirm that for the warranty to kick in. They will be here after a week on September 21st.
I'll keep y'all updated, so it can probably help someone else experiencing the same issues.

rickgburton

Staff member

MonaS

Premium Member
So I defrosted the the ice completely last week on 13th Sept, plugged the system and let is run for a week with stuff inside. The system is running perfectly. No problem whatsoever. I opened the evaporate coil cover today just to check and there was no ice on the coils. There was some ice that had formed on one corner as attached. Do you think this was just a temporary problem or something else ?

Attachments

• IMG_5687.jpg
    IMG_5687.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 13

rickgburton

Staff member
That's a sign of a sealed system problem. The evaporator is starving. The fresh food section might maintain the set temperature little while but the freezer is above the set temperature and the compressor is probably running 100%.
R-frost pattern sealed system fd.jpg
R-frost pattern leak.jpg