• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

French Door KRFC704FSS02 RC Not staying cold

schelp

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FSS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello! I have been through the threads on this model and close to it. I have KRFC704FSS02 serial KX0605796 that I purchased in March of 2020. In December of 2021 after putting a large amount of food and beverages in the refrigerator, it was very warm the next morning. Temp reading with an external thermometer was over 55 degrees. Took everything out and turned it off in case fan was frozen and called for service. In meantime, turned fridge back on and sometimes it would be 34 and sometimes it would be 50. Tech came first time and thought it was the RC condenser fan and ordered part. Did zero diagnostics. Came back to install part and the fridge was 35 and the fan was blowing. Then decided it wasn't the condenser fan and called Whirlpool for help. Whirlpool walked him through the door diagnostics. The RC fan turned on and when they tested Test 28 for the RC average temperature, the readout was 35. The whirlpool guy on the phone said it was normal for the fridge to get over 50 degrees for a couple hours and since the door diagnostics said the ave temp was 35, the refrigerator was operating normally. Whirpool guy also told the service guy to tell me to remove the thermometer because it was inaccurate. Service guy said fridge was fine, told me start using it, and left. Did no other diagnostics.

In the meantime, tried using it but all my food is spoiling. External thermometer has it around 45 to 50 degrees but sometimes it does get into the low 30s. With the help of the forum, I went through the door diagnostics. It looks the like the thermistors do give different temp readings, but the average temps under Test 23, Test 28, and Test 33 always read the same. Test 28, which is the ave temp, always matches what is set on the door. What is set on the door always stays the same and doesn't change unless I change the temp setting. The service provider that came twice is the only one for the area....I can't get anyone else that is authorized by Kitchen Aid to come out to this town. The fan does turn on under Test 57. The freezer works correctly.

Here are the readings from different tests. Does this look like a control board issue? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1644421571516.png
    1644421571516.png
    799 bytes · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.50.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.50.20 AM.png
    482.7 KB · Views: 62

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, TEST 58 is the condenser fan motor, you will need to pull the refrigerator out from the wall then remove your lower back access panel and you will see that fan next to the compressor, see if its running.

Service Test - 58 Condenser Fan Test
--->When entering service test, the Condenser Fan turns on. The display shows “ON.”

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W11190777 - REV A.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 59

schelp

Premium Member
Yes the condenser fan on the bottom right ran for the test. Should those black coils be cold or anything?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The black coils are the condenser coils, they should be warm.

Its going to be very difficult to pinpoint the problem, since its intermittent.

Your original control board is No Longer Available:

Its been replaced by the control board and User Interface Kit:
But that's even out-of-stock.

I'd contact the Whirlpool Corporate office and let them know: http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/contact/

NORTH AMERICA
North America Customer Experience Phone 1-866-698-2538 Email: whirlpool_customerexperience@whirlpool.com

Jake

Last edited:
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.