• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frequent H2O error GE Dishwasher GDT645SYN2FS

jrp1588

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT645SYN2FS
Brand
GE
My dishwasher has recently started throwing the H2O code, where it senses it's not being filled. The thing is, it IS being filled. I can hear it filling before it throws the code, and when I open it, I can see standing water in the bottom of the tub that looks consistent with what the level should be according to the diagram in the manual. I have pulled out the dishwasher to check for kinks in the hose anyway, and confirmed my supply valve under the sink is turned on. I even replaced the valve because it was frozen in the open position on the off chance it was restricted with calcium deposits and not filling fast enough. (it was wide open btw)

I figure it has to be a problem with whatever mechanism senses the water level, but looking at the diagrams, I can't find any kind of float switch or water level probe. The only thing I can see that senses water at all is the optical turbidity sensor, but that's at the bottom of the machine, several inches below the actual water line. Is there something I'm missing here?

jrp1588

Premium Member
Just thought I'd add that the problem doesn't occur every time, probably about 75% of the time it errors out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The pressure sensor monitors the water level, remove the pressure sensor and see if something is semi-clogging it.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15CmFe-hcufL5XUJPsqlEN3AzwDZ6z0M-/view?usp=sharing Its on Page 50

Here's the pressure sensor for your model:

Watch this video to access it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jrp1588

Premium Member
I got a chance to look at it today. I've gotta say, it was MUCH less involved than the video showed. I could easily access it with the machine in place with the kick plate removed.

It definitely looked like it needed some cleaning due to fat deposits. I gently cleaned the plunger area on the sensor with a toothpick and blew it out. The washer started right up first try after reassembly. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke.

Attachments

• 20211218_103627.jpg
    20211218_103627.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 20211218_103629.jpg
    20211218_103629.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 89

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, looks like that was the problem, good job cleaning it out.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

jrp1588

Premium Member
4 months later, the problem is back, and another cleaning fixed it again. Seems to be a pretty egregious design flaw if I'm expected to clean this thing out quarterly as a consumer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know that can be frustrating, hopefully GE will redesign that part so you don't have to clean it out so often.

Jake