Frigidaire 316233851 oven not baking evenly ES200/300

jokken

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Frigidaire
hi all,

we have a Frigidaire 316233851 oven at my moms house that does not bake evenly (ES200/300). I am hoping your expertise can guide us in finding a repair!

my mother and brother report dinners and pies are coming out brown on the right side and not so cooked on the left side.

The bottom element does turn red and looks red pretty evenly around, I think, please see the picture.

we don't use the broil option, but would the top/broil element ever need to come on? say during preheat only?
the fan in the back of the oven might not be coming on during bake, is it supposed to? or is that only for broil?

the only other symptom which seems unrelated but also just started happening is that when starting bake (which they do everyday) the Bake button needs to be pressed a second time before the oven turns on (before the "Oven" and "Preheat" lights turn on and oven actually starts to heat). Meaning: in the past they pressed Bake and then moved the temp up to desired temp. But now they need to press Bake, then move the temp up to desired temp, and then press Bake a second time!

any advice would be very appreciated! thanks -- Jim
bottom_element.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's not a model number. Without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts follow the link “How to find a model number”

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Get real model number

dinners and pies are coming out brown on the right side and not so cooked on the left side.
Air circulation is needed for even oven cooking. There is a vent that leaves the oven cavity to allow that circulation. Something could be blocking that vent.

On coil-top element ranges that vent is usually through one of the surface elements. Keeping a kettle or pan over that vent will affect venting. Make sure a surface element with a vent beneath is clear when not being used for cooking.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Electric Range Oven Vent

Other models have the vent coming out of the backguard. Make sure nothing is covering or blocking it.

Ask Rick said, the actual model number of the range is needed for us to determine the particular range's design. The only reliable place that will be found is right on the appliance's identication tag. You can also find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Dan O.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
PS Using too large of baking sheet in the oven can also inhibit proper air circulation needed for even cooking. ♨

jokken

Premium Member
thanks for help Dan. And Rick. Sorry, we could not find the model number until we looked behind the draw! it is GLEF378CBA
i dont think it is the cookware my mom is using as it happens to pies and casseroles and cookies too. i think the vent comes out thru the bottom of the left side of the control panel, i'll need to watch if that is venting the next time we cook/bake.

any more advice would be appreciated, now that we worked out the correct model #!

thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
i think the vent comes out thru the bottom of the left side of the control panel
Yes.

any more advice would be appreciated,
The only other thing might be if she puts foil on one of the oven racks to aid cleaning and it is hampering air circulation in the oven cavity.

You could also make sure the door is closing properly but that is a longshot to cause uneven cooking.

There's no malfunction with the range that can cause uneven oven cooking. It only heats at the top and bottom in the oven.

Dan O.