• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Affinity 2006 front loading washer-won't final spin?

Ibis Ghost

Premium Member
Model Number
ATFB6000ES1
Brand
Frigidaire
Just found this forum and it looked like an interesting informative site that I may be able to make use of in the future. Thank you in advance for the site.

So on to my issue....

We have a 2006 Frigidaire Affinity front loading washer and dryer. The washer recently quit doing the remaining final spin. So it leaves the clothes soaking wet.

We called our home warranty company and they sent out a repair man. The repair man almost immediately diagnosed it as a malfunctioning door lock assembly without any kind of multimeter test or anything...other than stating that it happens a lot on these machines. Well the home warranty company apparently doesn't think it worth trying to repair so they are replacing the washer entirely, however I believe the washer can be fixed.

So I took the door lock assembly out and took it over to a appliance parts company and they tested the door lock assembly based upon the tech manual underneath the top panel. I was getting an "E48" which says to measure the resistance of the PTC. If its shorted or open then its a defective door lock assembly. If it reads around 1500 Ohms, then its a defective control board.

Well the test on the door lock assembly (from my test) was at about 1300 Ohms. So I thought it meant that the door lock assembly is good and thus needing to replace the control panel. I replaced the control panel and ran a spin only cycle which is 12 minutes long, when it reaches 6 minutes the washer quits and shuts down and won't do the final spin. I've done this several times with the same results. This was exactly what was happening originally and still continues to act the same with the new control board.

I've ran all of the diagnostic tests in the manual and the washer spins very fast during the diagnostic test and even locks/unlocks the door. I can also wash a load of clothes, the washer will work absolutely flawless thru all of the wash cycles however it stop at 6 minutes during the final spin and leaves them soaking wet.

Can anyone perhaps try and help me figure out what is the matter? I'm tempted to buy a new door lock assembly but I feel like I already wasted $185 on the control panel and wouldn't want to waste another $75 on the door lock unless I'm fairly sure it will fix it.

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Try the lock assembly!

Door-Lock-131763202-01235823.jpg Door lock and switch assembly Manufacturer Number 131763202

[video=youtube;prkM2XMoOJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prkM2XMoOJk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

doorsw417.jpg

jeff.

Ibis Ghost

Premium Member
Well from my testing of the door lock assembly with a multimeter it had a reading of around 1300 Ohms, so based upon the tech manual it said it was fine. Here is the exact excerpt from the tech manual.

Test 7: Check
Remove the door lock assembly and measure the resistance of the PTC.

Test 7: Correction
Shorted or open. Defective door lock assembly
Reads around 1500 Ohms. Defective control board

So based upon the testing of the door lock assembly it tested at about 1300 Ohms, which to me says its probably good unless that isn't "around 1500 Ohms" as the manual stated but seems close to me but I'm not repairman.

Speaking of the test, am I supposed to test just the two connectors located at the wax actuator or some other place. This could be the area where I am wrong but not sure.

jeff1

Staff member
Just ohming it won't tell you if it is "fine"....that is a good indication but can still fail mechnically....sometimes we also must take an educated guess ;)

At the wax motor itself is best.

jeff.

Ibis Ghost

Premium Member
I see, would this cause the washer to shut off at 6 minutes everytime? If if was the door lock assembly why wouldn't it cause the washer to stop almost immediately since the door will be and is locked at 12 minutes in the test? Does the control panel do a proof test to make sure its locked and fails in my case...right before the final 6 minutes of the spin cycle?

Ibis Ghost

Premium Member
Jeff,

When I changed out the control board right behind the user control panel, is there a certain way it needs to be adapted to the washer or can you just plug it in a go? I was told after installing it that I need to plug it in for a few minutes without touching anything then unplug it for about 30 minutes and once plugged in hit stop/cancel?

I haven't read this anywhere and wanted to confirm it.

jeff1

Staff member
When I changed out the control board right behind the user control panel, is there a certain way it needs to be adapted to the washer or can you just plug it in a go?

Plug it in and go.

jeff.