Frigidaire Affinity gas dryer: Excessive, or not, lint exhausting from dryer vent?

Nikola

Premium Member
Model Number
AGQ67007S2
Brand
Frigidaire
Much success with my last post regarding a washing machine so now it's time for the dryer. Here's the background:

The builder installed in-wall ducting that exhausts the dryer to the north side of the house. The ridiculously long run consisted of a 90°, a short run, a 90°, a short run through the wall, another 90° facing up, an 8' run, another 90°, and a 10' run to the north wall with a flapper vent. Whew! The ducts were more-or-less square to fit between the studs. I replaced these ducts with round 4" a few years ago to ease the cleaning process using my fish-tape and a flue brush. Lint has been a constant issue, both with this current appliance and its predecessor. I found some guidelines stating that every 90° was equivalent to X number of feet.

A couple of weeks ago I routed the vent to the west side of the house. This ended up with a single 90° and a 6' foot run to the flapper. I expect better flow and shorter dry times. What I did not expect is the tremendous amount of lint all over my sidewalk and grass. I searched through the forums using various and phrases, including searching the neenernet in general. It seems this is to be considered "normal". Huh?

How can so much junk bypass the lint filter in the machine? I searched out the secondary lint traps, but all require the installation of a booster fan and a long run. I also read about "overdrying", "excessive detergent", and such stuff.

How can I minimize the output of my lint generator?

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

How can so much junk bypass the lint filter in the machine?
Wet lint is small and can pass through the filter....once the lint starts to dry it will expand and get caught in the filter.

jeff.

Nikola

Premium Member
So, the initial lint payload will make it through, but as it drys it will be caught by the lint filter?
Maybe the previous long run was trapping wet lint internally and reducing the amount exhausted?
Nasty mess. For now I've an empty joint compound bucket, half-filled with dihydrogen monoxide, under the vent to trap stray junk. If there's no other solution, then this will be marked SOLVED.

P

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Maybe the previous long run was trapping wet lint internally and reducing the amount exhausted?
Probably right, as it cooled down for sure the lint could/would stick inside the venting system....esp on a long run.

An extra screen installed in the venting will help, but must be cleaned as often as the lint filter inside the dryer.

jeff.

noworkee

Premium Member
Lint seems to be a big problem with many dryers. I have a Whirlpool Duet and I was shocked at the amount of lint that had collected in the bottom of the dryer cabinet when I first opened it. If you haven't done so already, you should probably open your dryer and look inside.

The internal duct has a gap that lets the lint escape.
2IMGP0312.jpg

After taping with aluminum tape.
IMGP0317.jpg

Here's a thread with more of the same problems: Duet lint issue-odd

I labelled the picture to show the gap on the lint filter.
2P1090316.jpg

It's a different machine but maybe this will help you with your Frigidaire...