Frigidaire CER3600AS1 dryer: no heat on low, little heat on high

artm69

Premium Member
Model Number
CER3600AS1
Brand
Frigidaire
This dryer has the followign symptoms:

1. On low heat, it appears to heat VERY little, I don't even see the heat coil glowing.

2. On high heat, the coil glows for abotu 5 econds then turns off. It does not glow again, at least for the five minutes I waited.

Any help appreciated.

-Art

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

the coil glows for about 5 seconds then turns off. It does not glow again, at least for the five minutes I waited.
Are panals removed from the unit? Not running it with the door open, right? These will taint your results.

jeff.

artm69

Premium Member
I received a tenant complaint that the unit has not been heating effectively. This is a short time after I replaced the motor and blower, for a different issue.

Yes, the door is open, the door switch is pressed, so I can see the coil behavior. How should I test?

jeff1

Staff member
Door closed. Top panal proped open or leaned against the wall. Peer down to see when the element is on or off.

On low heat, it appears to heat VERY little
A small pocket thermometer is a good idea in the vent pipe so you can see the temps when the heat goes on and off.

jeff.

artm69

Premium Member
Got it. Makes sense to close door and open top panel. I have an infrared thermometer, which I can shoot at the vent pipe.

So, regarding the low and high heat settings, I assume the coil should glow for both? Is it just the duration that changes?

artm69

Premium Member
Before I provide detailed data on four runs I made, I tested the high limit thermo, it's good. I tested the cycling thermo as follows:

1. the outer terminals show continuity at room temp.
2. the inner terminals show 23Kohm resistance at room temp.

All tests were made with the wiring disconnected. From what I've read, the cycling resistance is off on this one. Correct?

I realize I have not tested it at operating temp but perhaps there is no need.

artm69

Premium Member
Here's some data, top panel opened, laser thermometer scans the outlet pipe in various locations right after the dryer to the first elbow (about 6-inches, inside temp is the temp after opening the door and scanning the drum when test stops:

---------------- Low heat -------------------- ----------------- High heat ---------------------
Time coil on/off temp vent Time oil on/off temp vent
0:10 ON 0:10 ON
1:20 OFF 83-106 2:05 OFF 96-114
3:09 ON 4:10 ON
3:37 OFF 93-107 4:47 OFF 93-110
5:22 ON 6:40 ON
5:50 OFF 93-104 7:20 OFF 93-111
7:35 ON inside temp 110-113
8:04 OFF 93-105
inside temp 105-111

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
artm69 said:
regarding the low and high heat settings, I assume the coil should glow for both? Is it just the duration that changes?
Yes. The element cycles on and off at full power (ie. glowing red) to achieve the different temperature settings.

So is the element glowing red or not?

If it DOES glow red but you're not getting appropriate temperature, try running the dryer with the venting totally removed for a load or two to see if heating improves.

BTW. Exhaust air temperature is usually measured to determine dryer operating temperatures. I'm not sure you'll be able to do that using a laser thermometer with the dryer venting removed.

Dan O.

artm69

Premium Member
Yes, coil glows red - that's what I meant by "ON".

The venting is clear, as I cleaned it out less than a month ago for another repair.

1. What should the vent temp be?

2. What should the cycle times be? It appears to be about 30 sec for the low temp but just abotu 40 sec for the high. That doesn't seem right, only a 10 sec difference?

3. The cycle thermo resistance at 23K is about half of what I've read (53K). Is that OK?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The venting is clear, as I cleaned it out less than a month ago for another repair.
That doesn't mean something hasn't nested in it in the mean time. There's one way to totally rule it out as a possibility... and it's free to try!

What should the vent temp be?
On a Low temperature setting 115-120°F. On High 140-150°F.

What should the cycle times be?
Cycle times will vary by conditions. There are no set times and I've never recorded the cycling times on any dryer, ever. Functionality is usually determined by measuring the output air temperature.

It appears to be about 30 sec
That is very quick. I doubt that is how it is designed to operate. One way that could occur is if there was poor air flow through the dryer. Make sure the venting is clear and all internal seals are in place.

The cycle thermo resistance at 23K is about half of what I've read (53K). Is that OK?
It is a heater that simply alters the temperature at which the thermostat cycles at, on a lower heat setting. It should not be powered nor should it affect the high temperature setting at all. If only the lower temperature was off, it (that heater) might be responsible.

BTW. The wiring diagram I looked up for your model shows the thermostat heater is suppose to be 28K ohms.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
I have an infrared thermometer, which I can shoot at the vent pipe.
I have not found that to be a very reliable tool to use or way to test.

JMO!

jeff.

artm69

Premium Member
I removed the cycling thermo and tested it further. Its spec is: 135-15F. Placing it on an electric stove, it goes off (open) at only 93 degrees.

It appears that this may be the issue.