• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Chest Freezer (FFCD07C4HRW) compressor not running

AlanC

Premium Member
Model Number
FFCD07C4HRW
Brand
Frigidaire
Greetings. Great to have found this site as living in a somewhat remote part of the planet it is a challenge to find repair shops, tradespeople and even stores to buy new appliances.

Our two year old chest freezer (Frigidaire FFCD07C4HRW) just quit working. Being in Central America that model may not be easily referenced in other parts of the world. A Sunday afternoon of Googling/Youtubing leads me to a conclusion I don't want to hear but would appreciate any help in confirming (or not).

The compressor was made by Hangzhou Qianjiang, model number UKN60YA. Most obvious is that the compressor is not running when turned on and the green ON led is lit. It is also very hot. Not sizzling but still hotter than I think it should be. After being turned off for a while and cool, turning on again it doesn't hum as normal and I feel/hear only a slight vibration when touching/listening to the housing. It gets hot again quickly and after about 30 seconds there is a click from what I guess would be the the overload relay. I unplugged the freezer, let it cool down and ran a few tests.

Overload relay has continuity and 0.7 ohms.
Start relay has continuity and 5.5 ohms.
Continuity between the start, run and common pins.
No continuity between pins and casing.
Resistance between Common and Run pin is 8.8 ohms.
Resistance between Common and Start pin is 13.5 ohms.
Resistance between Start and Run pin is 21.2 ohms.

I tried a hot start with 120V Neutral to the Common, Line to the Run, and a momentary (1-2 sec) jumper from Run to Start. Nothing.

I'd greatly appreciate thoughts or suggestions about other considerations or, verdicts, if this is indeed a dead compressor. Thanks in advance.

Alan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Alan,

Yes, your compressor is bad.

Jake

AlanC

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. For my own curiosity, does this appear to be an electrical or mechanical (or both) failure? Is there anything in the electrical measures that indicates a bad compressor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually its a internal mechanical failure. The internal compressor piston is wearing out and makes the compressor draw too many amps and gets super hot.

Jake