• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire dishwasher not draining

davehk

Premium Member
Model Number
GPDB998JC1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi,

Twice now I have opened my dishwasher to find the bottom completely filled with water. The first time there didn't appear to be any leaking, but this time when I opened the door, water spilled out onto the floor. The first time, I took the inside assembly apart and cleaned out the best I could. I did not try and snake the drain tube out. I also took apart the drain under the sink and didn't find any obstruction. The sinks are draining fine, as well as our culligan system that is tied into the dishwasher drain. I can try and snake out the drain tube, or pull the dishwasher out and visually inspect it, but wanted to know if there was anything else I should check before I pull it out. I am hesitant to run the unit again, as we are in a condo building and am nervous about having water run into the unit below if it overfills again.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like a problem with the drain pump/motor. During the drain cycle, if the motor is getting 120 VAC and not running or if it's running and not draining it might have to be replaced.
Drain Pump and Motor 5304475805 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Drain-Pump-and-Motor-5304475805--01313981.jpg

davehk

Premium Member
What is the reasonable life expectancy of the dishwasher? We've noticed the door is hard to close, and a few other parts have worn out. At a $100 for a replacement motor, its not too much more to replace the unit.

It sounds like a problem with the drain pump/motor. During the drain cycle, if the motor is getting 120 VAC and not running or if it's running and not draining it might have to be replaced.
Drain Pump and Motor 5304475805 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
View attachment 4468

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Good point! The life expectancy of any appliance is five to ten years. You should price new ones before repairing that one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can pull the pump off but leave the electrical connections on it and remove the hoses to it, then put your dishwasher in a drain/cancel cycle and see if the impeller inside it is turning.

Jake

davehk

Premium Member
You can pull the pump off but leave the electrical connections on it and remove the hoses to it, then put your dishwasher in a drain/cancel cycle and see if the impeller inside it is turning.

Jake

Thanks, I couldn't get it to consistently turn, so definitely the pump. We decided to just upgrade the unit and got a great deal on a Bosch. It's much better and so quiet I'm concerned it's not running at times. Thanks for the help.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.