• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FEX831FS1 Top Load Washer (Agitator Woes)

Charles919

Premium Member
Model Number
FEX831FS1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello! Before we begin I just wanted to say how cool it is you guys run this whole place on nothing but donations and care. Anyways:

I recently purchased a Frigidaire FEX831FS1 stacked washer/dryer second hand, and made the mistake of not insisting to see it run before money changed hands. Everything works, with the exception of the agitator in the wash cycle. When no clothing is in the drum, I can see it limply twitching, but it doesn't actually turn. No movement is visible with a load of clothes inside.

It does not appear to be an issue with the drive head or agitator threading, but the bolt holding the agitator on the shaft is sunk flush with top of the agitator, so I cant get a wrench on it to remove the agitator itself and check the dogs and such. Instead I opened up the body of the washer to check the motor/belts/pulleys, they all seemed to be working properly during the drum spin phase (spinning counter clockwise), but the transmission shaft/ housing doesnt appear to be moving during the agitation/wash cycle (when the belt spins clockwise). I will note that one of the smaller moving pulleys is knocking against a housing above it, but that doesnt seem to slow it down when it spins the drum.

Thanks for your time.

Charles919

Premium Member
I've attempted to attach a video, but I'm getting a "the uploaded file was not a video as expected". If yall think it will help I can upload it on youtube and add a link later.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The file should upload if its a .mp4 file. Yes, you can also upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

I'd first check your drive block, Unscrew the agitator cap, then you will see the bolt that holds your agitator in, just remove it and the agitator will pull up, then you can see if the drive block is stripped on the transmission shaft.

the bolt holding the agitator on the shaft is sunk flush with top of the agitator
Its been a long time since I've seen the agitator bolt do that, and I can't remember how I got it off, but I think I had to cut/trim the plastic around the bolt to get it off with a wrench or socket.

You can also leave the agitator off while the transmission shaft is moving back and forth in the wash cycle and see it moves back and forth. While its moving back and forth hold your hold on it and see if it strips on the transmission shaft.

Here's the drive block for your model:
Drive Block 134418700

Watch this video:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Charles, sounds good.

Jake

Charles919

Premium Member
So I got the agitator off, turns out it wasnt being held in by the bolt, i just wasnt pulling hard enough. This allowed me access to the bolt, but much to my shame I couldn't pry the lil guy off with a socket wrench to check the internal threading (if that's something that exists) on the drive head. Holding the drive head so it wouldn't spin while trying to turn the bolt, even with a towel, wasn't working.

I took your suggestion and uploaded the videos to a google drive. Let me know if there are any other angles/ components you'd like a better view of. While the agitator turns during the Spin phase, I can hold it still while the drum continues to turn. In the wash/agitate phase, it spins but pushes back very slightly. Cheers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, in your 1st video that belt looks very worn out and causing that clicking noise.

Take the belt off and look to see if it was cracked or worn badly.

Here's the belt for your washer you can order if needed:
Drive Belt 134511600

Video included in part link.

In your 2nd and 3rd videos that drive block does look stripped. Now to get it off, you will need to hold the drive block with a pair of plies or channel locks, or even better a pipe wrench, while at the same time unscrewing that bolt off the drive block.

Jake