Frigidaire FFBD2411NB1A Dishwasher Constant Mold

droderi

Premium Member
Model Number
FFBD2411NB1A
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a Frigidaire dishwasher that has had constant mold in it. It's four years old, and after the first few months, we noticed black mold in the filters. We have done everything the internet recommends--we've scrubbed the machine, taken out all the parts, we've used baking soda, vinegar and bleach. The mold always comes back, and we do these deep cleans every month. I've never had a dishwasher with this issue before. We even had the pipes under the house changed because we thought they were causing a backup in the drainage.

Could it be:
-Something faulty in the machine or installation--like a bad gasket or intake valve.
-A lemon machine, and we need to get a new one?

As we've only had it for four years, we'd like to get a few more years out of it at least, but we're not sure if it is worth paying repairmen for assessments at $65 a pop. The last guy was going to charge us $175 to wash the machine with ice machine cleaner. We're not sure if we should try to fix it, or just get a new machine--or is the issue something else that will just repeat with a new machine (something in our plumbing or venting?). We live in a dry, mild climate, so mold in general is usually not a problem for us. Any advice, or even specific things to have the next repair guy check would be incredibly helpful.

What would you do after 4 years of constant mold? New machine or keep cleaning and trying to figure out the mystery source?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Bleach kills mold and mold spores so if you ran the machine with bleach in the water the tub should be mold free. Replace the drain hose. If mold returns it has to be coming from your water supply. Wouldn't you agree?

droderi

Premium Member
I will replace the drain hose and see what happens--if it is coming from the water supply, would that be the pipes?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Under your sink there is a valve connected to your hot water line and two lines coming out of the valve. One goes to the sink faucet and the other goes to the dishwasher water valve.
droderi said:
Would the drain hose also be moldy if this was the source?
I don't know but if you run bleach through it I would say no.