• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FFHD2250TS7 Refrigerator Leaking

KS24

Premium Member
Model Number
FFHC2250TS7
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi All,

We recently purchased a Frigidaire FFHD2250TS7 refrigerator. The fridge sat in our garage for a bit while we were having some work done on our house, but recently was installed (month ago or so). Ever since installation, periodically we have water that runs out to the front of the fridge. We had a repair guy come out and he thought it was the tubes in the back, not being tight enough. He was wrong. From what I can tell it is coming from under the fridge, not the back (nothing is wet back there when I look after a leak). It is not a continuous leak and seems to happen mostly after you hear water running to the fridge (maybe for ice or water dispenser?). I could have the the repair guy come back out again, however, with COVID-19 and a 4 month old baby we have been pretty reluctant to have anyone come out to the house again. We spent 4 hours sterilizing the house after the repair guy came the last time. The other part is, if nothing is leaking when he is here, he is just guessing. For the safety of our child and saving my sanity, I was going to try and do my own investigation prior to having the guy come back our, but I am not a fridge guy, so I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Keith

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Slide the machine away from the wall and remove the cover over the machine compartment to access the water valve. Get a good bright flashlight and have someone press the water dispenser. Look for the leak. If you don't see a leak, you can eliminate the water line to the filter, the filter, the filter housing, the water line from the filter housing to the reservoir and the water line from the reservoir back to the water valve. Fill a large glass about 6 times to get the leak to show up. If you don't see a leak, access the power module on the freezer ice maker. Locate holes "T" and "H" . use a short piece of insulated wire and short holes T and H together. You may need to hold the door switch in. As soon as the harvest cycle starts remove the wire and close the door. At the end of the harvest cycle is the fill cycle. Check for a leak.
Here's the water schematic:
R-Water Schematic Frigidaire Electrolux French Door.jpg

Here's the ice maker power module:

R-IM T H.jpg

KS24

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

That is super helpful information. I will give that a shot. Thank you so much!

Keith

KS24

Premium Member
Hi Rick, Unfortunately I have not had a chance to address the leak in the fridge (work, baby, general lack of time, etc.) I am hoping to get some time this weekend to look further into it. However, we have noticed that the freezer on the fridge is cold, but does not seem to be the -6 degrees which is what I have it set at. We have items in the freezer that should be frozen, but are more slushy rather than solid frozen after being in their for days. Any chance the leak and lack of cold in the freezer is related? We had the freezer fairly packed so I tried to remove some items which did not need to be frozen, but it is still quite full.

Today's leak did not come from the back, it looks like it came from the front, was a really small puddle. Thought that might be a seal, so I wiped the seal with soap and water. When I tried to find a drip from the freezer, I could not see where it came from. I partly wonder if this fridge is possessed.

Lastly, I saw something about making sure the fridge is level and angle towards the back a bit. I do not think any of that was done initially and I have been moving the fridge in and out as I have been trying to figure out the problem. Is leveling something that could be causing any of this?

Thanks,
Keith

rickgburton

Staff member
it looks like it came from the front, was a really small puddle.
Any ice in the bottom of the freezer?
Is leveling something that could be causing any of this? ...making sure the fridge is level and angle towards the back
That's not necessary.

KS24

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

No ice in the bottom of the freezer. In truth there is no ice at all in the freezer. I put some non-frozen icepops in there yesterday and they have yet to freeze.

Adding to the fun, I stepped into some freezing cold water this morning around 2 AM. I mocked up a rough draft of where I found water last night. Really makes no sense to me that there was a small pool under the left foot and such a large pool, which went onto the hardwood.

IMG_5046.JPG

When do fridges become lemons? I know we had this delivered in February and it is has been in use since June. Lot of problems for a fridge that is essentially brand new.

I appreciate your help, it has been really nice to be able to get some advice while not having someone come into the home.

KS24

Premium Member
No frost that I am seeing. I have attached a few photos. We do have a full load in the freezer, but I didn't think that should keep it from getting cold.
Freezer2.JPG

Freezer3.JPG

Freezer1.JPG

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern on the coils
Frost Patterns.jpg

KS24

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Hope you had a good weekend. Got a small window to do some troubleshooting on this system. Pulled off the panel on the back of the refrigerator and performed the filling multiple water glasses test. No leak.

Unfortunately, my daughter (whom is teething and not sleeping) was not allowing for much time to focus on this. I was not sure how to get to the ice maker power module to do the harvest cycle to test that process. I thought it might be behind the ice maker, but was not sure, so with the upset baby I abandoned that piece for the moment.

On Friday, I did try to pull the cover off of the freezer where the fan was, but I think I need to pull more of the panels off to get to the coils. I would need to pull out all of the food in the freezer to remove that panel and was not able to complete that step. We bought a mini freezer to pull out some of the stuff, which will arrive on Wednesday, so hopefully that will make it easier to get in there to test.

There were coils underneath the fridge and those looked fine. Essentially all of that looked new. There was only one area behind the fridge that might be something to point out and I have attached a photo of that.

IMG_5058_Fridge.JPG

As we have been tracking this process closer, it looks to occur every 12 hours starting at 11:30 AM/PM. With a little bit of research I found something about the defrost cycle that occurs ever 12 hours.

Is there anything that stands out to you?

Thanks,
Keith

KS24

Premium Member
Adding to my last reply, I disabled the ice maker using the on/off on the front panel menu. Two cycles have went by and I have yet to see a leak.

rickgburton

Staff member
If you you have a leak in the next 24 hours, we can assume the leak is between the water valve and ice maker.

KS24

Premium Member
I have not had a leak in what would be 4 cycles (2 days) now with the ice maker turned off. With the baby at grandmas today I was able to get into the freezer and the look at the coils (took a bit of contortion). Based on your photos it looks like the coils are normal.

IMG_5062.JPGIMG_5063.JPGIMG_5061.JPG

Do you think the issues with the leaking and the freezer are related?