FIXED Frigidaire FFHS2611PFEA Side by side, fridge not cooling well, frost near top freezer door.

ecdlmd02

Premium Member
Model Number
FFHS2611PFEA
Brand
Frigidaire
I had a power outage recently and since then my fridge seemed to stop working correctly. First the refrig side stopped cooling. I diagnosed a bad dampener fan, replaced and it is better and now working. However its not what i would consider very cold, i leave the temp setting on 8? I have not checked the internal temp.

The second issue and not related to the power issue I have frost build up on the top of the freezer door and to the top right side in the front. I suspect there is a bad gasket for the freezer, however there doesn't feel like there is any cold air escaping?? I do hear a "whooshing " sound when the freezer door, perhaps that a sign gasket is bad? Any suggestions, i don't want to keep throwing parts at it?

So if the door seal is bad will that make the evaporator fan stay on, keep the frig from cooling properly and creating frost on the inside door???? Any suggestions would be great.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I diagnosed a bad dampener fan
There's an air damper in the top left rear corner of the FF section and there's an evaporator fan motor above the evaporator in the FZ section but there's no "dampener fan". Power outages are bad for control boards. When the power comes back on there's a voltage spike that usually takes out the control board:
I suspect there is a bad gasket for the freezer
You probably just need to shim the lower freezer door hinge. Take the freezer door off and use a flat washer to shim the post.

ecdlmd02

Premium Member
Yes, i replaced the air damper. I bought a control board, but did not replace it yet. Could a bad control board cause the FF side to no cool properly and how so? Its cool, but it just doesn't seem cold as it should be. The FZ side is cold as it should be.

rickgburton

Staff member
Could a bad control board cause the FF side to no cool properly and how so?
Your refrigerator has only one cooling system. The control uses information from thermistors to control all the operating characteristics of that machine. When to turn the compressor on or when to start a defrost cycle is all controlled by the control board.

ecdlmd02

Premium Member
So far i have replaced the air damper (this was not working), the control board, defrost timer and my FF side is still around 48F? The compressor runs, condenser fan runs, evaporator fan runs etc.... The FZ side is -2F, outside of the thermistors what else could be? It seems like there is not much air flow coming in through the Fz vent to the FF, but the evap fan is working?

rickgburton

Staff member
Check the return air duct make sure it's not blocked with ice or frost. Check the new damper for ice or frost that might be keeping it from opening.
I had a power outage recently.........I diagnosed a bad dampener
We've seen a lot of issues with power outages and electronics. It's doubtful the power outage caused the damper to fail. It's more likely the control was damaged when the power came back on but you replaced the control. I'll assume it was recently and not 6 months ago. If the cover was on, that's a pretty heavy frost pattern and that's a lot of ice under the evaporator. There may have been (or is) a defrost problem. In order for me to diagnose it properly you will need to do this:

Unplug the machine and open both doors. Use a hair dryer to completely defrost the evaporator and drip pan. Make sure there is no frost or ice anywhere in the machine. Use a towel to dry the evaporator as much as possible. Make sure the drip pan is dry. Reinstall the evaporator cover over the evaporator. Set the controls to the factory settings and plug in the machine. After a minimum of 24 hours measure the temperature of both compartments. If the refrigerator section still doesn't cool properly, make sure the evaporator fan is working. If the fan is working leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover and take a few pictures of the frost pattern on the coils and post them here.

ecdlmd02

Premium Member
The control board was replaced this week, prior to that i replaced the air damper (which had failed) and i replaced the defrost temp sensor.
The evaporator fan runs constantly, I assume since the FF thermistor is not reaching the correct temp? There is strong flow of air on the FR side, blasting out of the top vent near the ice maker.

There is a lot of ice in the drip tray and there is a lot of frost at the top of the FR door. However every time i pull the panel off the evaporator there is no ice build up on that or the back panel. The photo i posted was after with the FR temp to 9 cover off running for 15mins.

rickgburton

Staff member
Do this
Unplug the machine and open both doors. Use a hair dryer to completely defrost the evaporator and drip pan. Make sure there is no frost or ice anywhere in the machine. Use a towel to dry the evaporator as much as possible. Make sure the drip pan is dry. Reinstall the evaporator cover over the evaporator. Set the controls to the factory settings and plug in the machine. After a minimum of 24 hours measure the temperature of both compartments. If the refrigerator section still doesn't cool properly, make sure the evaporator fan is working. If the fan is working leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover and take a few pictures of the frost pattern on the coils and post them here.