• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire FFSS2618SS0 side by side - ice maker not working, no water to ice maker.

1Ozz

Premium Member
Model Number
FFSS2618SS0
Brand
Frigidaire
Frigidaire FFSS2618SS0 side by side. Mfg 07/16
Ice maker not working, no water to ice maker.

Original problem was that the ice maker stopped making ice and began leaking water into freezer - also no water at dispenser.
  • Replaced water valve with Frigidaire/Electrolux PN 242252702
  • Also replaced water filter since it had never been replaced.
  • Defrosted freezer and removed ice from floor of freezer and from evaporator tray
  • Restarted and set fridge and freezer to 7/7
Turned on water supply and water continued to leak from ice maker – shut off main water feed

The following weekend
  • Cleared out few cube of ice that were made before shutting off water and defrosted freezer
  • Replaced ice maker with Frigidaire/Electrolux PN 241798231
  • Disconnected green water feed line from water valve to ice maker at the inlet tube at top of freezer (it runs outside and behind the freezer so not frozen up) and very little water was in that line, inlet tube to ice maker was clear
  • Defrosted freezer again and cleaned ice from evaporator tray and freezer floor
Restarted and set fridge and freezer to 7/7

Turn on water supply, no water leak at ice maker and had full water pressure dispensing at door. Ran about a gallon thru the dispenser. Ice maker gears begin to move and bail rises slightly then ice maker begins to make a “clicking” noise and it looks like the small drive gear unable to turn the larger gear.

I powered off/unplugged unit and manual cycled the ice maker with a screw driver. Powered back up and same thing – ice maker gears start to move then stops and make a “clicking” and no water to ice maker.
Raised bail to off position

Pretty frustrated at this point - any help would be appreciated....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I've seen this happen before on my service calls, the ice maker is the culprit.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
241798231 Ice Maker

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

1Ozz

Premium Member
Hi Jake and thanks for the reply.

I did replace the ice maker with a new Frigidaire/Electrolux unit pn: 241798231.
Are you thinking that that new ice maker might be no good? If yes, how can I test or troubleshoot to tell the vendor that I purchased this from that its defective and I need a replacement??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is how we test for water fill--->Pull the REFRIGERATOR out from the wall, then locate the water inlet valve, where your water supply line hooks up to.

You'll need a multimeter to see if your getting 120 volts to the ice maker GREEN SOLENOID side of the water inlet valve. The GREEN SOLENOID is for the ice maker water. Just remove the plastic electrical connector that goes to it, then put your meter leads in each one and then cycle the ice maker(turn the gear 1/4 turn clockwise then let it rotate on its own) and watch your meter for 120 volts towards the end of the cycle. If you don't get 120 volts, then your ice maker is the culprit.

Jake

1Ozz

Premium Member
Ok, I tested with multimeter twice. Got 114.4 vac and 114.7 vac. When ice maker cycled and asked for water. Too low???

Also, door water is working fine and shows 120v so I swapped the water connector to green ice maker valve and asked for water at the door - expecting it to activate the valve and fill ice maker. Valve did not activate.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then your water inlet valve is the culprit.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
242252702 Water Valve

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

TryingtoBeHandy

Premium Member
I'm having a similar issue.

Frigidaire FFSS2614QE0 side by side - we acquired the fridge when we bought this house in December 2020.

Replaced water filer in October and then again last month (April) just to clarify filter is changed regularly.

Ice make and dispenser worked fine the whole time until about a week or so ago when the ice maker stopped.

I pulled out the fridge to inspect and the copper line feeding the fridge broke and sprayed water everywhere. I went down into the basement and closed the saddle valve that fed the line and cleaned up the mess.

I bought a braided hose online and swapped out the copper. The water dispenser works even better now with more pressure. Saddle valve is fully open. Checked the water hose feeding up to the spout into the ice maker and checked the spout for any blockage. None there. The gears aren't missing any teeth, and the unit still cycles but no water comes into the spout and ice maker.

Bought a new water valve and new ice maker. Swapped the valve. Still no ice. Swapped the ice maker. The inlet spout flooded the ice maker suddenly, so I killed the water at the saddle valve again and cleaned up. This felt promising. I adjusted the adjustment screw on the new maker and turned the water back on. Water dispenser still works great, but now no water is coming into the spout and ice maker again after the flood. I thought I smelled something electrical, so I unplugged the fridge and checked everything. Everything looked good. I plugged everything back in and I keep adjusting the screw and waiting a few hours, but no water is coming. Did something brand new just short out? I am going to buy a multimeter, but sheesh.

I am stumped.

1Ozz

Premium Member
I spent weeks on this until I found that the "new" OEM water valve I bought wasn't working properly. Water dispensed fine to the door but no water to the ice maker. I found the solenoid on the ice maker side worked for one cycle then failed. Again, on a brand new OEM valve.

A quick test that you can do until you get your multi meter and can check voltage at the water valve connection (it should be roughly 120VAC) is to remove both the connections from the water valve (noting which goes to which) and put the connector for the door water on the ice maker side of the valve. Press the door water switch and if water flows into the ice maker, the ice maker side of the water valve is working properly so you can at least rule out a faulty water valve. If no water to the ice maker (since you know you are getting power there because the door water is working and you have plugged the door water connector to the ice maker side), the ice maker side of the water valve isn't opening and should be replaced.

TryingtoBeHandy

Premium Member
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the quick response. I will try this. I think my multimeter will be here today too. Wish me luck!