FIXED Frigidaire FGGF3041KFJ Gas Range - Oven take hours to preheat

txtita

Premium Member
Model Number
FGGF3041KFJ
Brand
Frigidaire
We have a gas range we brought with us from the United States to Costa Rica. Upon installation we replaced the natural gas orifices with the orifices for LP. Eight years later, the oven takes about 2 hours, or more, just to preheat to 350°F. Once it reaches temperature, it is able to hold the temperature correctly. Currently, we are using the broiler set on high to preheat because it is faster, but still not as fast, or as efficient, as it should be. We had a local appliance repair person take a look, and he thinks it could be a resistor of some sort. Before we invest in the wrong parts, can someone point us in the right direction to order the correct part(s). We are well aware that shipping and import fees will run about 75% of the actual cost, so it is critical that we narrow down the right part(s) first. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you turn BAKE ON, do you see a orange glow from the BAKE ignitor glow bar itself? Open the oven door and see. Once it glows the gas should fire in about 45 seconds and no more than 60 seconds, if not then the BAKE ignitor is bad and causing this problem you are having.

Here's the BAKE igniter glow bar for your model:
5304506545 Oven Igniter

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks for your reply. Yes we see the orange glow on the right side, of what I would call a vent, and it does ignite within about the 45 seconds, like you mentioned. I don't think this is the issue. Like I mentioned in my initial query, if I use the Broiler setting on high, I can preheat, once it's at temperature (using a separate oven thermometer to verify), I can switch to to the Bake setting, chose the temperature I need, and it will maintain the temperature throughout the bake. I can hear the gas flame kicking on and off as when the temperature drops a bit.

Open to suggestions...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the oven takes about 2 hours, or more, just to preheat to 350°F. Once it reaches temperature, it is able to hold the temperature correctly.
If the flame fires up in 45 seconds then the flame should stay on the entire time till it reaches 350, does the flame stay on till it reaches 350?

Let's take the broil preheat out of this scenario, I just need to know why its taking 2 hours to get to 350 if the flame fires in 45 seconds.

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
It looks to me that it only lighting on the right side. I don't see any flame on the left side.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bingo!

You might want to check the oven bake burner tube where the flames come out first, if you have a partial blockage in the ports holes that may be the cause.

If you do notice a partial blockage then use a wire brush to clean the oven bake burner tube port holes.

Here's the oven bake burner tube for your model:
Frigidaire 316404400 Burner

Video included in part link.

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
Thanks, we'll work on it this weekend to see if this is the cause. It makes perfect sense, because the LP gas in this country is not as clean as in the States. I'll let you know the outcome. We really appreciate you and your guidance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
Well we took everything apart as described in the video. We cleaned all the holes in the gas burner tube and put it back together. Before we put the bottom pieces back in we ran a test. Now we realize the orange glow we saw on the right is just the igniter and not flame. We were able to get the gas burner tube to manually light with a very low flame on both sides of the tube with a butane lighter, but nowhere near as strong as it should be on preheat.

Now we are thinking the actual gas valve, or orifice is clogged, or not functioning. Any recommendations on what we do now?

We appreciate you and your guidance more than you know.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now we realize the orange glow we saw on the right is just the igniter and not flame.
Ok, then if no gas is coming out and it just continues to glow orange after 60 seconds, then you will need a new bake igniter glow bar.

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
But the igniter glow bar turns screaming red hot! We can light the bake burner tube with a match, but it's a very low flame on both sides of the burner tube, maybe ¼ inch flame or less. Do you still think it's the igniter glow bar?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The igniter can turn on and glow red and still be bad. You need to measure the amp draw with a meter. The igniter needs to draw 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the safety valve.
(click to enlarge)
OVEN AMPS.jpg

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
We can check that, but still curious as to why the burner tube only has a flame of ¼ inch or less. Will replacing the igniter increase the flow of gas to a normal size like we see produced from the broiler's burner tube.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its likely because its not drawing 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the safety valve fully.:)

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you so much for all your help. We checked and found the igniter was only putting our 2.8 amps. We ordered a new igniter and valve because we've been noticing a faint smell of gas ever since the the oven hasn't been working properly.

Excellent support and we appreciate you and your guidance to get us pointed in the right direction.

All the best,
Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Pat, thanks for the update!

Jake

txtita

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Just a follow up on the repair. We finally received the new igniter and valve yesterday and had the parts installed today. Our oven now works like it's supposed to and I'm baking with gas again.

Thanks so much for your invaluable guidance.
Pat

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Pat, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake