• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FGHD2433KF1 dishwasher not cleaning the dishes properly

A

AALEEM

Model Number
FGHD2433KF1
Brand
Frigidaire
I have Frigidaire FGHD2433KF1 dishwasher at my rental property that was working fine till last week . Last week tenant told us that its not draining water. We inspected, found some debris and cleaned the junk and it started draining water again.
However, we realized that its spray arms were not rotating. We asked for someone's help who cleaned it further and after that lower arm started rotating again however upper arm(which is below the upper rack) was still not rotating and tenant says its not cleaning the dishes properly.

My question:
1). I checked the Tech manual and it says " The motor drives a pump which supplies 100 percent filtered water at a rate of approximately 12 GPM to one spray arm at a time. The spray arm’s operation is alternated by small “pauses” of the motor during the wash cycle." . Not sure how "alternated by small pauses" works e.g. lower arm rotates for 5 minutes and then upper arms rotates for next 5 minutes i.e. does anyone know upper and lower spray arm rotation cycle timing in FGHD2433KF1 ? - as its possible that when we check and conclude that the upper arm is not rotating ,it is actually not supposed to rotate and thus there is no problem with the rotation.

2). Otherwise , what could be the possible issue that upper spray arm is not rotating?

3). How to diagnose the problem and trouble shoot?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a check ball in the sump that makes the water flow to the spray arms, lets make sure that ball is moving freely. The small pauses make that check ball move back or both for each pause to send water to each spray arm.

Another member with the same model you have had this same issue, read his final post #16 here:

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#63 is the base filter.
#10 is the sump cover, remove that, there is a video that shows you how in that #10 sump cover link.
#58 is the check ball.

Here's the video to access the check ball:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

A

AALEEM

I checked again yesterday , it seems that middle and upper arms are now rotating but I am not 100% sure about it - I marked them with a tape and their position had shifted when i checked again after 40 minutes however it could be that either they actually rotated fully and freely or it could be that they tried to rotate and moved only a few inches and could not move freely.

Since as soon as you open the door of the dishwasher , everything appears to be halted i.e. no water spray , no rotation of arms etc... (I believe this is what the actual design is supposed to do) ,what is the best way to determine with surety that the spray arms are actually moving freely with water?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you even read my post #2 about checking that check ball?

Jake

A

AALEEM

Apologies , I did not specify the ball check point in my last post
Yes , I did check the ball , it seems to be working fine and moving freely ; perhaps that's why even if the spray arms are not rotating , they are still spraying the water. Had it been a ball issue , the spray arms would not have been spraying water. Right?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The check ball moving back and forth makes the water go to the upper and lower spray arms.

There's no way to see if the spray arms are rotating with proper water spray unless you put a water proof video cam inside the tub.

So if you have plenty of water in the tub and the check ball is good, then the problem would be the pump/motor assembly itself.

Here's the pump/motor assembly for your model:
Circulation Pump 154844101

Here's a video on how access/replace the pump/motor assembly:

Jake