• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FGUN2642LF6 Will Evap fan fault stop compressor?

Rol

Model Number
FGUN2642LF6
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi, My repair puzzle for the day for anyone at home and bored.

Day1:
I have a Frigidaire FGUN2642LF6 double door bottom freezer type. Not freezing, Compressor not running.
I ran through the diagnostics , All seems good except test15 Evaporator fan is not running - which I had replaced once with a chinese clone a year ago.

test 38- Compressor runs OK
test 12-VCC condenser Fan runs OK
test 15 Evaporator fan - does not turn fan. BAD
Digital Temp readings look fine.
Alarm goes off.
Doors lights OK
IceMaker Disconnected and removed a year ago( didnt seem to mind)
So at this point looks like a bad Evap fan.

Question 1 - if it was a dead Evaporator Fan shouldn't the compressor still be running and the bottom freezer still freezing or does the whole system stop?

Fridge unplugged overnight.

Day2:

plugged it in.
Decided to try toggling showroom mode.
To enter, press and hold freezer temperature up (∧)
while pressing the fresh food temperature down (∨)

Went in OK.

Now pressed opposite keys for fun.
To enter, press and hold freezer temperature up (∨)
while pressing the fresh food temperature down(∧)

Displayed some symbols OK.

Unplugged frig and left for a minute.
Powered up this time and now I get an SY - EF- Evaporator Fan Failure error and the compressor is now running in the freezer.

I ordered a new fan. Orig Equip this time.

Question 2. Seems to be cooling . Will it keep going till the fan gets here. Is it regulating freezer temp even through EFan not working?

Puzzled.
Rol

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Question 1 - if it was a dead Evaporator Fan shouldn't the compressor still be running

Usually, yes. Both compressor and motor should be on separate circuits from the control board. Usually a failure of either of those components shouldn't usually affect operation of the other.

Rol said:
Will it keep going till the fan gets here. Is it regulating freezer temp even through EFan not working?

No. On most refrigerators all the cooling for the whole appliance occurs in the freezer. The evaporator fan circulates the air throughout the whole refrigerator. No fan, no coling at all in the refrigerator compartment. It still will get cold very close to the evaporator but no air movement to cool the rest of the freezer compartment. Depending on where the temperature sensor for the freezer compartment is, the control may no longer regulate the running of the compressor.

Also, with no air flow across the evaporator it will frost up excessively which could cause liquid refrigerant to get back to the compressor. That could damage the compressor ($$$+). That frosting might also need to be manually defrosted as the defrost system may not be able to eliminate it once operating properly again.

I would suggest it be left unplugged or turned off until the defective motor can be replaced but it's up to you if you want to take the chance or not.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited: