• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Freezer FFU14F5HWG Too warm and warm light blinks or is solid red

LongIslander

Premium Member
Model Number
FFU14F5HWG
Brand
Frigidaire
Recently our freezer warm light has been blinking and staying on. I measured the temperature inside at around 20 degrees fahrenheit. When I took off the inside back panel there was a little ice around the defrost thermostat and the bottom/drain hole were filled with ice. I have since replaced the defrost thermostat and the temperature inside still only gets to around 20. I saw that the freezer evaporator fan motor was spinning. What should I possibly check next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
LongIslander said:
When I took off the inside back panel there was a little ice around the defrost thermostat and the bottom/drain hole were filled with ice.

Did you fully defrost it and make sure all the ice is out of the drain trough?

After fully defrosting and running fully assembled again, check the frost pattern on the evaporator coil. It should be uniform across its whole surface. If it's only frosting in a small section, it may indicate a refrigeration system problem.

frost-patterns-jpg.47103

That would require a professional technician to correct but might not be worthwhile to have repaired.

Dan O.

LongIslander

Premium Member
Hi Dan thank you for the reply. I put my finger down the drain and removed any ice from the area. When I had the panel off it sort of looked like sealed system problem picture. From visual inspection besides frost is there anyway I could tell if there is a leak or restriction in the coils?
Did you fully defrost it and make sure all the ice is out of the drain trough?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
LongIslander9 said:
I put my finger down the drain and removed any ice from the area.

That's part of it. In some cases a blockage down there can restrict air flow through the evaporator and cause uneven frosting. Checking the frost pattern from a fully defrosted state helps to eliminate the possibility of a misdiagnosis based from frost formation.

LongIslander said:
From visual inspection besides frost is there anyway I could tell if there is a leak or restriction in the coils?

In order to confirm a sealed system problem it requires tapping into the refrigeration system and installing pressure gauges. I doubt you have the necessary tools and equipment. You'd need to call a licensed refrigeration technician to confirm it.

Dan O.

LongIslander

Premium Member
That's part of it. In some cases a blockage down there can restrict air flow through the evaporator and cause uneven frosting. Checking the frost pattern from a fully defrosted state helps to eliminate the possibility of a misdiagnosis based from frost formation.
Dan O.
Ok I will have to let it fully defrost soon and see how it acts after. Thank you for all the help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Check the frost pattern after 12-24 hours of running fully assembled. If you can post a picture of it it might help.

Dan O.