• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire FRS6HR5JQ0 - Freezer and Refrigerator are no longer cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitadome

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS6HR5JQ0
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi All,
Looking for help please. My side by side is no longer getting cold and was hoping for an easy fix. Any guidance of suggestions is much appreciated.

Back of appliance
1. I'm not sure how to diagnose problems with the start/relay switch so I haven't checked that.
2. I was able to confirm the compressor fan is working without issue.
3. I also feel cool air... not sure if that means anything. My garage is cold so it could be just blowing that air.

Freezer side
1. Removed ice maker and back panel.
2. Found the fan was working without issue.
3. Not sure what else to look for there.

Refrigerator side
1. Took of the thermostat piece at the top; didn't notice anything wrong
2. Also on the left side I took off casing which I assumed hid a fan but it's some electronic component that I'm not familiar with.
3. That device click for a few seconds; stopped then click again for a few seconds before shutting completely off (I waited 15 minutes before i unplugged)
4. If I plug in again the same thing happens and stops completely.

The video I have was too large to attached so I posted it here...

Thanks in advance for your help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I was able to confirm the compressor fan is working without issue.
You're going to need a DMM that can can measure Volts and Ohms if you don't already have one. Check if the compressor is running (if the condenser fan is running the compressor should also be running) by placing your hand on it and feel for the vibration. Usually you can hear if the compressor is running.
Freezer side ... Not sure what else to look for there.
If the compressor is running there should be a very light coat of frost on all the coils, top to bottom.

vitadome

Premium Member
I don't have a DMM, so I'll check with a neighbor or go buy one. I did place my hand on the compressor and felt no vibration, however, the compressor fan is running. I kept the refrigerator plugged in and will report back if I see and light frost on the coils. I'm guessing it needs a few hours to run.

Please let me know if there are any other things I can check while waiting on a DMM and frost check. Thank you!

rickgburton

Staff member
I did place my hand on the compressor and felt no vibration
OK, the compressor is not running. Here's where you'll need a DMM. Check for 120 VAC across the two wires going to the compressor. My guess is your meter will indicate 120 VAC because the condensor fan is usually connected in parallel with the compressor and the condensor fan is working. That means either the start device or the compressor has failed. Here's how to check the start device (yours may look different) Be sure the machine is unplugged.
R-start device.jpg

Here's how to check the compressor windings:

R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

vitadome

Premium Member
I was able to confirm 120 VAC across wires into compressor. I was also, able to confirm the compressor pins. It appears it's the start device... when I shake it I hear a slight rattle too. I'll buy that part to see if the does the trick.

rickgburton

Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
Cut the plastic connector off and solder two wire terminals on the wires. Doesn't matter which one goes where.

vitadome

Premium Member
Cut the plastic connector off and solder two wire terminals on the wires. Doesn't matter which one goes where.
I never soldered anything before, so I'll google if there are any how-to video's out there. My hands barely fit in there, so I'll need to see how that works.

rickgburton

Staff member
Look in the part link in post #6. You can buy the harness adapter #297177300 for $30 but you still need to cut the old connector off and connect the new one with a couple wire nuts. Use the crimp style wire ends available at any of the home centers or Walmart. Unplug the machine, take the wire connector off the start device and pull the wire harness out where you can easily work on it. Save $30

vitadome

Premium Member
Happy to report I was able to successfully install the part.

I was required to cut the connector plug and rewire with proper terminal connector as suggested in post #11. I found a box a connectors at the home store for a few dollars. Spliced wire, crimped connector on and plugged into relay with no issue.

Running great again the past 48 hours. Thanks for the help and support!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.