• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FRT21D2NW0 refrigerator not cold enough

CTPhil

Premium Member
Model Number
FRT21D2NW0
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello everyone, new member.

My top freezer refrigerator isn't getting cold enough, it's been marginal for a while and now it's getting worse. I just replaced the defrost thermostat to no avail. The defrost fan works fine. The compressor fan works fine. There doesn't seem to be much air blowing into the refrigerator from the freezer, but it blows fine in the freezer. The defrost coil has frost on the bottom row but none on the upper rows, everything seems pretty much ice free. I'm not sure what to try next. When the freezer fan shuts off, if I turn the temperature control in the refrigerator off, then rotate it back on, I hear a humming coming from under it's housing but the defrost fan doesn't come back on until it's ready and does so on its own.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The defrost fan works fine.

Sorry, no such a thing.

The defrost coil has frost on the bottom row but none on the upper rows, everything seems pretty much ice free.

Let the refrigerator run 45-60 minutes and then snap a picture of the evaporator/cooling coils and post a picture here so we can see the frost pattern.

jeff sr.

CTPhil

Premium Member
P1010216.JPG

jeff1

Staff member
Sorry to say you have a major system problem.
Possible leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG $ repair or new refrigerator time.

jeff sr.

CTPhil

Premium Member
Thank you very much for your diagnosis. Ordering a new refrigerator. You have put my mind at ease about doing so, and I'm very appreciative. :)

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome, happy we could help.

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.