• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FRT21LR7AWR: Freezer and Fridge both running warm.

Mdub707

Premium Member
Model Number
FRT21LR7AWR
Brand
Frigidaire
Picked this fridge up used a couple months ago, finally got around to cleaning it up on the inside and found a home for it in the garage. Plugged it in and walked away. Came in the garage the next day to hear it humming away like normal, but opened the door to find both fridge and freezer warm. I realized the temp dials were turned all the way up, so I cranked them down and walked away. Came back next day, same issue. I was told the fridge worked just fine before I acquired it, but after sitting for a bit it seems to not be cooling anything.

Looks like first step is a visual of the coils in the back? Second would be to test the compressor relay? Am I on the correct path here?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and put your hand on the compressor and see if its running.

Also see if the condenser fan motor next to it is running too.

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I did check the fridge finally. Compressor is NOT running, but fan right next to it is. I can also hear a fan running up in the freezer section.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Unplug the refrigerator and remove the compressor start relay from the side of the compressor and ohm test the compressor start relay.

Here's the compressor start relay for your model:

Set your multimeter on the lowest ohms of resistance, and put both meter probes in the 2 parallel holes of it and you should get between 3-12 ohms if its good.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Is this what you meant?

Attachments

• 20210616_183554.jpg
    20210616_183554.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210616_183559.jpg
    20210616_183559.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 42

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, perfect. 10 ohms is good.

But the bad news is the compressor is the culprit since its not running with the compressor start relay ohm testing good.

The compressor should be running while the condenser fan motor is running.

Was the compressor HOT when the put your hand on the top of it when it was trying to run?

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
If I'm reading my meter correctly, it's saying Mega Ohms. I did have it in Auto mode. So it's saying 10,600,000 ohms.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Touch your meter leads together and see if it still says Mega Ohms.

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
It does not.

I tried manually changing the units and when I force it into just ohms it reads 0.0. I only get a reading from the compressor start device when I use the auto function. It starts at ~22 Mohms and gradually falls to 10ish Mohms.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then just force it into ohms when testing the compressor start device relay, if no response from the meter, then its bad.

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
Sounds good. That's exactly what I'm seeing when I set it to ohms, 0.0 reading. For $11 I'll try the part anyway. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
Forgot to update here, but wanted to let you know this did not fix my issue. I'm puzzled as this fridge worked just fine when I picked it up from the original owner. It did sit for maybe 2 months at my house before getting plugged back in again, but now it does not work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the compressor at least trying to start? Do you hear a click noise when the compressor tries to start? Or the compressor comes on for a second then shuts down?

Jake

Mdub707

Premium Member
I hear nothing at all, but it is in my garage. I'll try plugging it in with my head near the compressor and see what I can hear. I'm 99% sure nothing at all is happening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if you still hear nothing at the compressor, get your meter and set it on AC Volts, then remove the electrical connector from the compressor start relay and put your meter probes in each terminal and check for 120 volts.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake