Frigidaire FSC23F7DB8 ice maker Not making ice fast enough

sddarkman619

Premium Member
Model Number
FSC23F7DB8
Brand
Frigidaire
I have this problem with my Frigidaire side-by-side FSC23F7DB8 ice maker.
It was not making ice fast enough and then not making ice at all. I found the inlet tube was frozen solid with ice. I've used a hairdryer to thaw the inlet tube and it worked great for a couple days then it slowed the ice making down again and is back to the usual of not making enough ice.
It's been over a month and I just checked the ice maker and the inlet tube was not frozen and clear.
I advanced the ice maker by holding the I button for 15 seconds and it rotated until it started hitting the ice and then stopped. I waited for 5 minutes and it still didn't pop the ice out. I took a hair dryer to the ice maker to heat the tray a little and then it started rotating again and popped the ice out. The inlet tube worked fine and filled the tray up.

Is the metal ice tray supposed to heat up a little to allow the ice to slide out easily? If so how long does that take to happen.

I'm tired of having to make ice with tray and dumping it into the ice machine, hahahaha I mean I paid for an ice maker right?
Can you help?
thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, that metal element should heat up to release the ice when its being pushed out. It should only take a minute or two.

Since its not, that indicates the ice maker itself is bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
Ice Maker Assembly 5303918344

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
There's a thermostat in the ice maker that needs to close before the ice maker will start a harvest cycle so there's probably more than one problem with the ice maker. The ice in the fill tube is another story. You may need to replace the water valve it it happens again. I've never seen one fix itself yet.

sddarkman619

Premium Member
There's not much ice that has been made in the 8 hours since last night, of not using ice. I activated the make ice faster button and still, not much.

The first time I cleared the water tube with a hair dryer, the ice maker made ice very quickly it seemed but after a few days it pretty much went back to slow making. I check the inlet tube and it's not clogged with ice, in fact it's clear.
Any recommendations?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It was not making ice fast enough
Make sure the freezer is cold enough. For best production the freezer should be -5 deg. F.

If your fridge isn't cooling as well as it should, make sure the condenser coils are *thoroughly* clean. (That should be done a couple times a year, seasonably if you have pets!)

Dan O.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok SD, lets make sure all the ice cube slots have ice in them, remove the ice maker and look to see if ALL the ice cube slots have ice in them, if not, then that's why your getting slow ice production.

How does one get to the coils? The back is sealed.
The bottom rear access panel comes off, pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the screws that hold it in place, it is #89 here:

This is it:

Then the condenser coil is #1 here:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

sddarkman619

Premium Member
well I made use of the long skinny thing of the vacuum, and a swiffer and then a bottle brush and got the coils clean. They weren't as caked as I thought they'd be maybe because the vent holes were clogged.
So that was cleaned.

Then I cycled the ice maker AGAIN. It had been sitting for at least 15-20 minutes with no power so the ice should have popped right out, right?
It didn't.

The prongs that rotate and pop the ice out stopped again at the ice. I waited again for 5 minutes or so. and nothing. I felt the metal where the heating apparatus was under the ice tray and it did not feel warm at all. Got the blow dryer out again and heated it that way. and they popped out after doing that.

Is the ice supposed to just pop out by the time the rotating prongs get to it? or is it supposed to wait for 5-10+ minutes before popping out?

When I used the hair dryer a month ago to thaw the inlet tube it cranked out ice like it was going out of style for several days. Then got slow again.

Attachments

sddarkman619

Premium Member
I just noticed a small puddle coming from under the front of the fridge.
I wonder if I knocked a tube off.
I guess I'll find out when I get water or make ice.

BTW i put trays above the ice maker on the shelf in the freezer. I get ice faster that way that the ice maker.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did all the ice cube slots have ice in them?

Jake

sddarkman619

Premium Member
Did all the ice cube slots have ice in them?
Yes. I also just noticed a puddle again coming from underneath on the right side as I am facing it.
I pulled out everything to see if the ice trays had just been filled and they are just starting to form ice so I am wondering what the water is from. I pulled off the front grating and looked and there's a pan under there that has some water in it.
But the pan doesn't come out.
Your thoughts?

sddarkman619

Premium Member
OK so I noticed this puddle and I pulled the fridge out, took of the board backing and pulled the water tubed out in the back. I noticed one was pinched by the condenser coil against the fridge frame.
My wife hit the water dispenser and it proceeded to spray all over the place.
So I need to replace the tube which I don't know how to do, or if I could split is where the leak is would be easier.
See photos for the part that is leaking and causing the puddle.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Use a razor blade to cut the leak out then couple the two ends with a 1/4" coupler available at any of the home centers.

sddarkman619

Premium Member
When I did the hair dryer thing on the old one to unclog the inlet tube it started cranking out ice and filled up the bucket almost overnight.

Is there a rate of ice making I should expect or is it documented somewhere?
This one is making ice faster but only maybe 1/4 of the bucket overnight.

thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
The thermostat in the ice maker closes at about 15°F. That starts a harvest cycle. During the harvest cycle the heater is on and that increases the temperature of the thermostat. The water fill starts to lower the temp but it takes a while to reach 15°F again. There's a few variables like the set temperature of the freezer. It should be set to about 0°F. The average time between harvest cycles is 40-60 minutes. I tell my customers the first 2-3 harvest cycles can take a half a day but after that it should harvest about once an hour.