• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FSC23F7DSB7 side by side water dispenser started working by itself

barrywebb

Premium Member
Model Number
FSC23F7DSB7
Brand
Frigidaire
The water dispenser/ice maker on this fridge is not that complicated but I'm totally stumped.

The initial problem was a water leak. I examined the inlet valve assembly and although I couldn't see any obvious leaks, there were traces of water in the general area. So I changed the valve assembly with a genuine Frigidaire unit. It's slightly different from the original with push to fit pipe connections rather than the molded nipple/nut of the original.

Everything was fine until the water dispenser started working by itself. This was accompanied by a growling sound which seemed to be coming from the right hand side (fridge rather than freezer).

This is what I've done so far:

1. Replaced the water valve assembly
2. Replaced the water filter
3. Run about 5 gallons of water thru the lines to ensure no trapped air
4. Changed the control board - the one with the transformer and four relays - part number 703644-02, 40507900
5. Changed the rectifier pack (2 x diodes) connected to the water valve.

All I'm left with is maybe the replacement water valve is faulty. But that still doesn't explain why the water would flow with the valves being energized.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your missing the last digit of the model number after the final "S" we would need that first.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

barrywebb

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply

The full part number is FSC23F7DSB7

See attached image

Thanks
Barry

Attachments

• Frigidaire FSC23F7DSB7 Label .jpg
    Frigidaire FSC23F7DSB7 Label .jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 41

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

When the water dispenser works on its own, how do you get the water to stop flowing?

4. Changed the control board - the one with the transformer and four relays - part number 703644-02, 40507900
You mean your main control board:
frigidaire-main-power-board-241511101-ap3765958_02_m.jpg

Or this one, in the dispenser area:
241708102 Power Control Board

The main control board is located underneath the front of the refrigerator, unplug the refrigerator and check that board for any burnt components on it.

Jake

barrywebb

Premium Member
No I replaced the power control board.

Looking at the schematic, I'm not sure where the main control board connects to the power control board or why it would. Pressing the water dispenser should just energize the main and water dispensing valves and the control board takes care of that. I suppose there may be more control required over the ice maker.

One of the strange aspects is this release of water is periodic. About every 20 minutes. Now that does seem more ice maker behaviour than water dispenser behaviour. After all, why would you want the water dispenser to operate by itself.

But I never ask for advice and don't at least consider it so I'll pull the main control board and take a good look. All other aspects of the fridge seem to be functioning perfectly.

I did mention this originally but when I push the water dispenser it delivers a consistent stream without any noise. The phantom discharges are accompanied by a low level growl. Almost like a very gentle hammering that you get on copper pipes.

Thanks for the reply and I'll let you know what I find.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't have the schematic for your model, can you please upload it so I can see it too?

Here's the other control board in the dispenser area, for your model:
241708306 Board-Conrol

Jake

barrywebb

Premium Member
Hey Jake

I've attached the wiring schematic that I'm using. There are multiple variants of this base model and this is identified as for the Frigidaire FSC23F7DS

Thanks for your input but I'm trying to understand the reason for this strange behaviour without changing every board in the fridge. It will cost almost as much as a new fridge doing that and I'll will still be nearly 20 years old. I'm just trying to avoid another serviceable item ending up in landfill.

Thanks
Barry

Attachments

• en-7785a3887fa18910492a27bfc61e4035.pdf
    107.3 KB · Views: 34

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
OK Barry, I need the schematic not the wiring diagram.:)

Just trace back the water inlet valve wires, its a nightmare trying to trace them back on the wring diagram, with my old eyes. LOL

Then remove the water inlet valve wire connector from the power board, dispenser board and main board, one at a time to locate the problem board.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.