• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire FWT449GFS1 Front Loader Won't Drain or Spin

scolenyc

Premium Member
Model Number
FWT449GFS1
Brand
Frigidaire
After working flawlessly for years, my front loader no longer cycles into the drain and spin cycles. The machine fills normally, the drum rotates in both directions during wash, but when it reaches the rinse cycle, there is a humming/buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the door-lock mechanism. Water does not drain and the drum remains motionless during the rinse and spin cycle. When it's time to agitate again, the humming/buzzing stops and the drum rotates freely. The latch on the door itself is intact. If there is a problem with the machine-side door lock, could it prevent the drain and spin cycles from starting? Any advise?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I would first check your water pump, if something gets stuck in it or the water pump bearing is bad, it will not drain the water or make a buzzing sound, its just below the door latch assembly.

Take the lower front panel off then you'll see the drain pump with the 2 large rubber hoses attached to each end, get something to catch the water in, then remove the hose clamps, and see if something is in the drain pump, you can also remove the drain pump itself, by just taking out the 2 5/16" bolts that mount it to the washer base.

Here's the water pump for your model:
Drain Pump 137108000 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

If thats ok, then its likely the door latch assembly.

Here's the latch/lock assembly for your model: Door Lock 131888900 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

scolenyc

Premium Member
Jake Rocks . . . SUCCESS!

I followed your advise and checked for foreign objects in the pump. I found a guitar pick inside which jammed up the fins. I removed the pick, reassembled everything and we're back in operation.

Because the buzzing noise was coming from the door lock assembly, I was pretty much convinced the problem was there. I had removed the front panel to see if the buzz/hum was coming from the pump and it was not. HOWEVER, I really don't know squat about this stuff, so it pays to listen to someone skilled in these matters. Thanks, Jake!

Finally, if there is any advice out there as to whether I should be concerned about damage to the pump because of the jam, I'd welcome any input. I've run a complete cycle and it seems okay, but again . . . what do I know.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, Good job scolenyc finding those foreign objects in your drain pump.:)

Its possible that the impeller fins may have been damaged, I usually look inside the drain pump with a flashlight to see if any are broken off or cracked.

If its working great now, then it would seem to be fine, but you can always order the drain pump from the link I posted above if you notice the drain pump eventually getting louder or sluggish.

Jake

Rissachio

Help! I have the same front loading washer and the same problem. I have taken off the front panel and am trying to remove the clamps to clean out the drain hose but I can't get the spring wire clamps off!
I can feel and hear that there is something in the hose (besides water) but the stupid copper colored clamps wont come off. I am using a pair of needle nose pliers to try but they dont seem to budge!

also on a side note... how to I catch the water that comes out of the hose when I do get the clamp off? It is such a small area I dont have a container to fit in that area to catch it.

thanks!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I use channel locks myself to get the clamps off.

You can use hose pinch-off pliers to keep the water from flooding out.

Jake