• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire FWT647GHS0 motor plug shroud sources?

jtodd

Premium Member
Model Number
FWT647GHS0
Brand
Frigidaire
After much debugging and replacement of a few parts that were not the problem, I've found that my front-load Frigidaire FWT647GHS0 has metal fatigue in the wiring harness. It's close to 20 years old but still kicking, and this seems like a pretty simple fix... if I could find the part.

The motor only spins if I push and twist the wires between the speed controller and the motor in a specific way, and then I can see some arcing in the connector and it runs just fine. If I zip-tie the wires in the right way, it will run normally for a cycle or two and then the vibration will un-fix the issue. So it seems (by my guess) that there is metal fatigue in the wiring harness where the wire meets the pin, due to the motion of the drum/motor assembly during cycles.

So I'm looking for a connector. There are no markings on the connector other than a very faint "CSA" approval stamp. If I can find a new connector and pins, I'll just cut the old one off close, and put the new one on there and hopefully get another 20 years. Anyone have any idea if these were off-the-shelf or are they custom?

Attachments

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I would be inclined to cut the connector out one wire at a time and use an inline connector on each wire to bypass that plug.

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jtodd said:
I'm looking for a connector.

You're not just looking for a connector, you're also looking for the terminals for it. And hopefully you have the proper tool to install the terminals onto the wires too.

The appliance manufactures don't usually sell such things individually. They might sell the whole wiring harness with that connector already attached. With older products getting a replacement wire harness is fairly unlikely though but even if you could find one, replacement is often a tedious and time consuming job.

As Jeff said, bypassing the connector would often be done in the field. Alternately, it might be possible to just bypass the questionable terminal(s) and leave the rest of the connector intact. That way if the connector ever had to be disconnected in the future, only a few wires would have to be cut to separate it.

JMO

Dan O.

jtodd

Premium Member
You and Jeff1 are probably right. I just hate doing more work than the minimum, especially when it's pinning connectors. :) I suppose I could just get another set of two connectors (I have lots of automobile Molex-style connectors) for which I have plenty of spares and the tools to make them and put those in place of the stock part. I have a spare motor for this, which is why I was hoping to keep the connector but it does seem to be the case that finding the connector is a lost cause. Looks like I will just buckle down and put three new ends on (harness, motor1, motor2.) Thanks for the insights, both of you!