• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Gallery - door switch not allowing microwave to cook

gtnos

Premium Member
Model Number
FGMV174KFB
Brand
Frigidaire
built January of 2012. Was working fine, now when you close the door the light stays on and it will not cook. If I push door in and wiggle it around a bit, i will hear a click and light will go off, allowing it to cook. However, if I let go of door, it stops cooking and light comes back on. Looking in the bottom door catch hole on the oven I see a little red push switch. If I push it with a screwdriver, I get a similar click.

is the switch bad or door out of adjustment or what?

also, this is built in over oven model, how do I unplug it?

and do you have anything that shows how this thing comes apart?

thanks guys!

gtnos

Premium Member
Well, after popping off the inner door panel I found the issue. the "hook" that holds the door spring on had broke off. The bad news is that the hook is built into the door. So im thinking ill need a whole new door.

anyone know where I can buy one?

thanks!

gtnos

Premium Member
nevermind. i googled the door frame.... $150-190 bucks!!!! :(

before dropping that kind of coin, I found another location on the door frame to drill a very small hole and attach the latch spring. after stretching the spring just a tad so it wouldnt be under too much pressure, I reassembled the door and for now... it is working. hopefully it holds or I will be out $$$ for a new door.

might I add that this IMHO is a horrible design to have one very small and thin plastic hook for the latch spring. I bet im not the only one who has had this issue.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Yupper, see this once in a while now :(

jeff.