Frigidaire Gallery Front Load - High Speed works, but LOUD banging at full spin - Serviceable?

jptl

Premium Member
Model Number
FWT445GES2
Brand
Frigidaire
This pertains to a Gallery stackable front load washer - from the early 2000's - maybe late 90'

I read the first sticky relating to the high speed cycle not working. This doesn't apply to my problem, since the high speed/fast spin works as it should.

Although the high speed/fast spin cycle engages, cycles and works as it should, there's a very LOUD banging/clunking coming from the drum enclosure when the fast spin reaches full speed. This banging has gotten progressively worse over the past several loads.

• All agitate, drain, rinse and spin cycles work as they should without excessive noise
  • The loud banging only occurs during the high speed cycle, regardless of the size/balance of the load
  • So as to not have an abnormally imbalanced load, I put a towel in the washer and ran it on normal/regular cycle
  • Everything operated normally until it got to the High Speed Spin cycle. That engaged and once it reached full speed, the banging started. After the high speed cycle was over, operation returned to normal
  • I removed the dryer for top access, and the bottom panel for bottom/front access.
  • I didn't see any broken/disconnected/loose springs, struts, attachments or mounts
  • I operated the high speed spin cycle once again, and when the banging started, I held the drum enclosure so as to minimize movement. THE BANGING DIDN'T SUBSIDE IN THE LEAST
  • Since holding the drum enclosure during the banging didn't lessen the noise in the least, my sense is that the noise is coming from inside the drum enclosure
  • After the cycle had stopped, I grabbed the aluminum drive pulley to check for movement/play
  • Although there wasn't too much noticeable side-to-side play in the pulley/shaft - to suggest a bad bearing at the pulley, there was about 1/2" of front and back movement/play and moving the pulley/drum toward the front of the machine resulted in a small clunk - the sound that metal on metal would make.
I've never been inside an enclosure like this, but I imagine that there's a bearing adjacent to the drive pulley that houses a shaft or spindle, and on the front side of the drum, there's some kind of a race in which the drum is seated. My guess is that something is either broken or worn that's allowing fore & aft movement of the drum inside the enclosure, and it's the front portion of the drum banging against the housing.
Is anyone familiar with this issue? If so, is it repairable? What's involved, and is it worth it cost-wise (providing for a reasonable amount of DIY labor).

Thanks in advance!
J.P.
BTW, this forum has been invaluable for all of my appliance troubleshooting challenges.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Every time I've had a service call for a Frigidaire front load banging sound, it's always been a broken shock or suspension spring:
Suspension Spring 134144700 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Suspension-Spring-134144700-00801903.jpg

Shock Absorber 134564200 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Shock-Absorber-134564200-01396038.jpg

[video=youtube;fX7cXtkJHbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fX7cXtkJHbA[/video]

[video=youtube;gKNLEC9KlDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gKNLEC9KlDg[/video]

jptl

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. None of the springs are broken. I'm skeptical that it's a shock for the following reasons:
  • The banging sound only occurs at high speed spin - as though it's the speed of the drum that's causing it - not the movement of the tub.
  • During the high speed spin, I firmly held the tub to reduce movement and shaking, and the banging continued.
Any idea of the amount of labor involved in opening up the tub, and subsequent putting it back together? Are there special gaskets, o-rings or sealants involved that should be replaced once the tub is opened up?
Thanks again for your reply suggestion...
J.P.

jptl

Premium Member
I'm now in deep. I've removed the entire drum and separated it. Sure enough, a bad bearing. The 'inner' bearing is the one that's bad. Considering that this is an offset drum, the inner bearing bears considerable weight. It's no wonder that this goes over time and use.

I think I know the answer, but my question is:
Are these bearings serviceable - in other words, can they be pressed out and new ones pressed in, saving me from having to buy a new housing/bearing assembly (which is not in stock at the moment)?
It looks as though the seal is integral with the housing - maybe even cemented in. Since the bearings aren't technically pressed into the plastic housing, it looks as though there's some kind of epoxy holding them in.
Am I correct here, or has anyone even gotten this deep into an old washer?

rickgburton

Staff member

jptl

Premium Member
Yes. Bearing 6307 is sloppy. I pulled both bearings and the seal, found reasonably priced sources for all three ($40) and was starting to feel positive about fixing this washer...
...until I took a look at the spider.
One of the arms is broken. That's what the racket was. As the drum spun at high speed, centrifugal force was slamming the broken sections of the spider against each other. The spider is pretty corroded, so I'm sure that the other arms are near breaking as well.
I'm very discouraged to learn that the spider can't be purchased separately, but only comes with the drum - to the tune of $300+ :eek:. Certainly not worth it considering the age of this machine.
Someone tell me I'm wrong here, before I gather up all of these parts and throw the whole machine out to the curb..
..and go shopping for a new washer.

jptl

Premium Member
Thanks to all who replied. I got lucky and found a local Gallery Series washer in great shape on CL for $200.
I'm back in business - with a happy wife, I might add.

jptl

Premium Member
This is insane. I feel like I'm in some kind of time warp:
My Frigidaire Gallery washer started making a racket only on the spin cycle.
I was googling "loud banging Frigidaire washer" and came across this thread. I read the first post and thought "Wow, that's exactly my situation!". I read your reply, Rick and continued to read.
As I read the conversation, I thought "this guy's situation is exactly like mine". It wasn't until I got to the bottom of the thread that I realized: it was me! 6 years ago with the exact same issue. Duh.
I must be getting old and senile because I didn't remember this experience with a similar washer.
Long story short, I bought a used washer on Craigslist 6 years ago to replace a similar unit that died b/c of a broken spider arm. Now this replacement has a broken spider arm. I think we can deduct that the spider arms on these units are their Achilles heel.
I really should count my blessings. A $200 used washer gives me 6 years of trouble-free service.

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes, they had lots of problems with broken spiders on that model. 6 years for $200 is a good deal.