• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Gallery Ice Maker Trouble

mamab23

Premium Member
Model Number
FGUB2642LP1
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator with a JBND-26 Ice Maker. I think it's about 4 or 5 years old, but I don't know if the previous owners bought it new or used (it came with the house that my husband and I bought in 9/14. At first it was all working just fine. Then a few months ago we started having problems with it.

1. The ice maker won't stop making ice cubes. It just keeps making them until the bin is overflowing with cubes. The arm seems to be really high up, so that may be part of the issue. But it seems as though the system keeps making ice even if the arm is all the way up and clicks.

2. There appears to be a decent amount of ice build up at the back of the auger assembly, which started around the same time that the bin started overflowing with ice cubes. The doesn't seem to be any frost, but there is ice.

3. Also around the time that the cubes started to overflow in the bin, the ice maker (or maybe it's totally unrelated and is the refrigerator itself) started making a horribly loud buzzing/grinding noise. I thought that maybe it was because the bin was always so full and there wasn't room for the molding/tray to come down, but even if the bin is empty I still hear the loud buzzing/grinding noise a few times a day. Sometimes the buzzing/grinding is accompanied by even louder popping noises.

4. Recently, the ice maker seems to be stuck on the "crush" setting. Even if the light over "cube" is on, we still end up with crushed ice coming down the chute. I tried resetting it and that didn't work.

I don't even know where to begin with fixing the thing. Should I just replace the entire Ice Maker, or would it be cheaper to replace the parts that are making it act up?

Hope to hear from you soon!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
mamab23 said:
I don't even know where to begin with fixing the thing. Should I just replace the entire Ice Maker, or would it be cheaper to replace the parts that are making it act up?
Your machine has the "Finger Evaporator" style ice maker. It can't be replaced as an assembly. It sounds like there are several issues with your ice maker and auger assembly. They may or may not be related so the first thing I did was to check for any service bulletins that might address your problems. I did find two service bulletins for your model that has some of your symptoms. The crushed /cubed issue might be the result of the ice maker problem or spring problem. Remove the ice/auger bucket and empty the ice from the ice bucket. You'll notice a metal rod on the bottom right side. It fits into a hole in the back wall where a solenoid pulls that rod up for cubed ice. The melting and refreezing may be keeping the rod from being pulled up or it could be the spring problem from the service bulletin. Clean the ice bucket with hot water and dry it. That might fix the crushed cubed issue. Then follow the instructions in the service bulletins to fix the ice maker problem and /or spring problem. If it doesn't fix the problem let me know. We can put the ice maker into service diagnostic mode. There are 20 tests it can run to find a problem.

Attachments