FSE748GFS1
Brand
Frigidaire
Frigidaire Gallery Front Loading Dryer
Model # FSE748GFS1
Serial # XD01304971
Bought around 2000 or 2001
Heavy use - two adults and four kids. :eek:
Good condition - no problems other than this.

Problems:
1. Clothes are getting rust spots, or brown spots.
2. Clothes, mainly straps, are getting caught near the top of the drum, just above the door (front side). It may be more correct to say that they are getting caught on the frame, because they are not tumbling around. They get "hung" at the top near the door.

I would appreciate your assistance with parts/diagrams/instructions/etc.

Also, while I am in there, is there anything other maintenance item that I should go ahead and replace (given its age and heavy usage)? Or inspect, clean, or lubricate?

Many thanks! This forum has been very helpful over the years.

ricklaugh

Premium Member
Instructions?

Thanks Pegi. I notice others with the same issue. Do you have any instructions on replacing this?

Also, would you recommend any other service (belt, rear bearing, etc.) while I have it apart? We plan on keeping it as long as possible.

Thanks again!

Pegi at Sams

Appliance Tech
Not really, just take it apart, if it looks ratty replace it, clean the drum lip off and yes be sure to check that rear ball and bearing assy, belt and idler while in there, should do you good for a few more years...;)

ricklaugh

Premium Member
Where to start?

Pegi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am dangerous when it comes to taking things apart. Where should I start? For example, should I remove the front panel first?

I think I will replace the rear drum bearing and the belt as well. Any help you can give on accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Pegi at Sams

Appliance Tech
There are some wonderful tear down pages on other web sites but I do not know where they might be located on this one, someone else will have to help you with this...sorry...:confused:

ricklaugh

Premium Member
While these instructions/diagrams may not be for my specific model, they are helpful. I can at least see how the rear drum bearing/socket is accessed. It is helpful to know that it lifts up and out. It was good to see the belt and tensioner as well. The diagrams make me more willing to try it. For that, I am grateful. Thank you for your efforts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, on these models I usually change the rear bearing and front felt glide pad assembly to fix this problem.

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for Frigidaire FSE748GFS1 Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Diagram#3 part location#20 is the felt glide assembly.
Diagram#5 part location#32560 is the rear bearing kit.

Jake

ricklaugh

Premium Member
Preventive Maintenance Parts Kit

Jake,

Good to hear from you again. As always, thanks for your assistance.

I found a parts kit from Frigidaire. I believe this will do the trick.

2002 to Present Maintenance Kit 5304457724 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
1992 to 2001 Maintenance Kit 5304461262 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

[FONT=franklin-gothic-bold.]Dryer Preventive Maintenance Kit[/FONT]

Extend your appliance life cycle and improve the performance with our dryer maintenance kit.

Designed to fit Frigidaire, White-Westinghouse, Gibson, Tappan, and Kelvinator gas and electric dryers manufactured by Electrolux

Kit Includes Instruction sheet
Rear bearing kit
Upper felt kit
Lower felt kit
Idler arm assembly w/ pulley
Belt

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Rick, I wasn't aware they were making the complete maintenance kit on these models.

Jake

ricklaugh

Premium Member
Summary/Recap

Jake,

I completed everything this weekend. Here is a recap for the benefit of others:

1. The brown spots are from the adhesive, not rust. Their appearance is definitely the indicator that the felt and glides have worn out and your clothes are making contact with the brown adhesive (which is also wearing out, and being ground down by the metal-to-metal contact.). This explains why the rust stain remover was not working on the clothes. To date, I haven't found anything that will remove the adhesive stains. When I do, I will update this post. (Update: some have suggested Gojo.)

2. Replacing the lower felt and upper glides was straightforward - very little wondering what to do next. It was labor intensive in that the old stuff has to be scraped off. No shortcuts here. (Update: use acetone, available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Comes right off! May want to use protective gloves as well.) When applying the new glue, be careful not to get it on the side of the new felt (the part that will face your clothes when reassembled). Make sure that your plastic glides are facing the right way as well. You may not be able to just look at your old glides, because they will, more than likely, be gone. Mine were. Overall, this took me about two hours, mostly scraping. (Update: if you use acetone, this takes less than thirty minutes.)

3. The drum was easy to lift up and out. Rear bearing, belt, idler, and pulley were easy to replace. The only problem that I had was keeping the small metal ball (like a BB) in place when I replaced the drum. That was hit and miss for me. I finally covered it with the high temp lubricant which held it in place. Don't get frustrated and leave this out. It is necessary! I wasn't sure whether or not to lube the pulley. I did anyway. This took about one hour.

4. I also stacked the dryer on top of the washer. This was very easy. Before stacking, make sure that your washer is level and that the leveling glides are stable (no movement or rocking of the washer). You will need help lifting the dryer and aligning it with the brackets when stacking. This took about thirty minutes. The brackets were under $5.00.

While I was working, my daughter was vacuuming the dryer inside and out. She was also cleaning the inside of the drum. We reassembled everything with new venting as well. Now, our automatic cycle (with the moisture sensor) dries with one cycle like it did when it was new. My theory is that, over time, the sensor becomes covered with lint, and the vent clogs as well. After working with it this weekend, I now see the benefits of an annual cleaning inside and out. What a difference!

This maintenance parts kit was well worth the price and the effort. The dryer is as good as new!

Thank you Jake and everyone else for your advice and for the pictures and instructions. I could not have done it without you.

NOTE: If this post has helped you as it has me, please hit the tip jar. I believe you can donate at the bottom of the page. I am sure these guys will appreciate it. They have earned it. Plus, I want this forum to be around when my next applicance needs attention! :)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad those instructions helped you too rongparker.:)

Jake

Jim Smith

Premium Member
Highly recommend the maintenance kit

Had the exact same problem as described. Got the 1992 to 2001 maint kit and found that it was a real bargin at $30. The instructions and pictues that come with the kit are excellent. I had no questions that were not answered by the kit instructions.

The replacement of all just about all the wear parts and cleaning of everything makes this practically a new dryer. I would recommend this relatively easy repair to anyone that is having this problem. I can also scan and post the instructions here if anyone wants to see exactly what they are getting into.

Last edited:

DFastOne

Premium Member
Same problem / stain remover.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 9 year old Frigidaire Gallerie mod# FSE446RHS0. If you could let me know which maintenance kit works for it, that would be great.

Also, I have to clean the adhesive from my dress shirts on a weekly basis. GOJO orange hand cleaner, usually used by mechanics, works perfectly.

Thanks,

Al

Jim Smith

Premium Member
DFastOne,

You should order the 1992-2001 maint kit from RepairClinic.com, part # 5304461262.

This will fix your problem and also give you a like new dryer.

Also read the Ricklaugh post above as it's good advice, including the note to vacuum everything.

Good Luck!

Last edited: