FIXED Frigidaire Gallery Washer LTF530FS0 Timer sometimes won't advance

Bob_Cville

Premium Member
Model Number
LTF530FS0
Brand
Frigidaire
We just purchased a used Frigidaire Gallery Washer for use in our barn. I hooked it up and although it seem to perform all of the steps it is supposed to: filling, agitating, draining and spinning, the timer doesn't seem to advance from one step to the next. Intermittently. I slid the machine out from the wall, and removed the lid, removed and looked at the timer and put it back in, and and ran it, and it went through all of the steps, start to finish. So I pushed it back against the wall and tried again and it again wouldn't advance through the cycles.

I've done that several times and it seems to work or not work depending on it proximity to the wall.

I've read many posts here and it seems that it could be the timer (which seems like the most obvious) or the spin control board, or possibly the door latch.

Although I hesitate to just order those parts since the first two are about $300 each -- significantly more than I paid for the washer and its matching dryer.

In the sticky thread titled [FIXED] Frigidaire Gallery Front Loader Washers - NO HIGH SPEED SPIN - READ THIS FIRST!

It says to check the door latch, 1500 Ohms == good, anything else == bad.

Is there a similar sort of test that can be performed to diagnose a bad timer or bad control board?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Bob_Cville

Premium Member
Thanks for the response Jeff,

What is puzzling to me is the intermittent nature of the problem. It will sometimes work fine, going through all of the cycle like a champ, other times it gets stuck and needs to be manually advanced.
After I removed the timer unit I detached the small motor from the the unit, and when it is connected to 120 VAC it steadily runs and as far as I can see its little gear and the bigger one it meshes with are both fine.

So given that the timer motor turns when it gets power, from your post that would suggest that the timer isn't getting power, which would point toward the spin control board, but in my (limited) experience, boards don't fail, and then work again, and then fail, and then work again and then fail again.

I'll try testing whether the timer motor gets power while the machine is trying to run. I may need to solder up test wires to connect the multimeter to, since the one I have doesn't have test clips, only straight pointy test probes.

-Bob

Bob_Cville

Premium Member
Jeff,

I did read that and was starting to lose hope since as you noted the spin control board is listed as "No longer available" at Repair Clinic and at other places that seem to stock it, it is about $300.

However this evening I connected a couple of wires to the terminals of the timer motor and ran the machine through a cycle. At first whenever the timer motor received 120 VAC the timer moved forward and advanced through the cycles, however after a short time the timer motor would stop turning even when it was receiving 120 VAC. I disconnected the timer motor from the timer and it continued to not turn when it was receiving 120 VAC, but if I manually advanced the timer when the voltmeter showed 120 V it went through all of its cycles. I then pointed at the timer motor and shouted j'accuse :)

So it is the timer, and more specifically the timer motor. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to purchase just the timer motor.

The information you provided was quite helpful, thank you.

-Bob

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Correct, just the whole assembly and not the motor only is available.

jeff.

Bob_Cville

Premium Member
[FIXED] Frigidaire Gallery Washer LTF530FS0 Timer sometimes won't advance

I was unable to find an exact replacement for the timer motor anywhere. However I did find a near exact replacement, with the same motor, with the same gear size and location and rotation direction and with the same mounting tabs but with a different RPMs for the timer motors gear. However given that the machine advanced through its cycles when I manually turned the large gear in the timer whenever the timer motor was receiving 120 VAC, the rate at which the timer motor doesn't seem to be crucial.

I ordered the part, and after it arrived, installed it, and tested the machine ... and it works. It steadily advanced through all of its cycles, washed, rinsed, spun, and beeped.

I'm counting this as being fixed.

Thanks again for your help Jeff.

-Bob