• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire GLTF2940FE1 (2008ish) with error code E56 will not fill with water in diagnostic mode

wylee

Premium Member
Model Number
GLTF2940FE1
Brand
Frigidaire
Will a bad motor control board prevent water from flowing in diagnostic mode? The steps in the troubleshooting guide seem to indicate the motor control board will be my problem. I wouldn't think there should be any current going to the motor during water flow testing in diagnostic mode thus leaving me skeptical of the high motor current code.

My washing machine is doing exactly what this one is doing at the 2ish minute mark in this video. Logically, I think the main control board being bad makes more sense but I'm hoping somebody with experience with the E56 code can verify if water should still flow with a bad motor control board. Both control boards are kinda spendy so I don't want to order the wrong part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does the washer fill when its not in diagnostic mode? Start a normal cycle with no clothes in it and see.

E56=High motor current.

1. Remove the belt from the motor and spin the motor pulley. Does the motor spin free?
No. Replace the motor.
Yes. Go to step (3)

2. Spin the tub pulley. Does the tub spin free?
No. Check the tub bearings.
Yes. Go to step (3)

3. Disconnect the plug from the motor and measure the resistance of the windings (pin 1 to pin 2, pin 1 to pin 3, pin 2 to pin 3). All readings should be between 4 and 6 Ohms.
If the readings are correct, replace the speed control board.
If the readings are incorrect, replace the motor

If the readings are correct, replace the speed(motor) control board.
134743500 Motor Control Board

If the readings are incorrect, replace the motor.
137043000 Motor

Jake

wylee

Premium Member
The water solenoid valves do not open at all when not in diagnostic mode. In diagnostic mode, the water runs for between 300ish-3000ish ms (seemingly random duration) before it stops and beeps the E56 error. It doesn't make sense to me the motor would have high current when I wouldn't expect the the motor to have any current.

If I had just followed the diagnostic steps for E56 I would have come to the conclusion that I needed a motor control board, but I found the wiring diagram before I found the instructions to get the error code. My conclusion from the wiring diagram was the only thing that would affect the water flow, the drain pump (the drain pump would not start in drain/spin mode when the washer initially stopped working in the middle of a load with water in it), and the drum motor was the main control board.

Seeing the guy on youtube, who presumably fixed that washer with a main control board gives me pause before ordering a motor control board. I may need to just order both from a vendor with a liberal return policy and send the one I don't need back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What does the washer do when you don't have it in diagnostics mode and you try to start a cycle?

Did you: Remove the belt from the motor and spin the motor pulley. Does the motor spin free?

Did you: Spin the tub pulley. Does the tub spin free?

Jake

wylee

Premium Member
On any cycle, the door locks and I can hear a faint relay click or two after the door locks. The timer will begin counting down but nothing else happens. No errors, no beeps, nothing.

I haven't taken it apart yet; going to do that tomorrow. The hub spins freely and smoothly, freely enough that unless the belt is broke or fallen off I'm pretty confident the motor spins freely. The only thing left to do is check the motor resistance but I don't believe it is the motor; I did get it to run half a wash cycle once since it died. But I'll check that tomorrow. I really hate loading up the parts cannon without some sort of confirmation that I'm firing the correct parts out of it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its likely the motor board, because all machines now do a self-test before putting water in, meaning the door will lock, then the drum should turn back and forth a little, then the water comes in, if the motor board is bad and causes the drum NOT to turn back and forth a little, it will NEVER put water in and give you that E56 code in diagnostics, you see what I mean?

Usually when the main control board goes out the machine will not do anything at all, and the lights will flash and beep on the control panel and the machine will not start period.

Jake

wylee

Premium Member
I took it apart and checked the motor winding and tach resistances; all good. It was in fact the motor board. I found one localishly and put it in this afternoon and the washer is back in business. I'm not surprised it does a self-test before starting a cycle but I am surprised that the motor tries to run in diagnostic mode running fill or pump tests; that seems like a bad design to me. Diagnostic mode should test one thing at a time.

In the end, following the documented troubleshooting procedure found the problem with nothing more than a multimeter...I guess the design isn't too bad.

Thanks for the help. Donation incoming.

wylee

Premium Member
Spoke too soon. It lasted for one wash cycle and now won't spin and has error code E57. Do I buy another motor board or scrap the machine...decisions decisions

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
E57=High current on inverter.

It was in fact the motor board. I found one localishly and put it in this afternoon and the washer is back in business.
Where did you buy it locally? I assume it was brand new locally?

Do the same test per E57.

1. Remove the belt from the motor and spin the motor pulley. Does the motor spin free?
No. Replace the motor.
Yes. Go to step (3)

2. Spin the tub pulley. Does the tub spin free?
No. Check the tub bearings.
Yes. Go to step (3)

3. Disconnect the plug from the motor and measure the resistance of the windings (pin 1 to pin 2, pin 1 to pin 3, pin 2 to pin 3). All readings should be between 4 and 6 Ohms.
If the readings are correct, replace the speed control board.
If the readings are incorrect, replace the motor

Jake

wylee

Premium Member
134743500R it was refurbished, not new. Refurbished wouldn't have been my first choice but availability was a big factor in my purchasing decision. Since it worked when I installed it, I'm reluctant to buy another board or name where I bought it. My machine may have a problem that is causing it to eat motor boards. If I could find another black washer that my dryer would stack on, it would be a no-brainer to trash this washer. Having to replace the set makes the decision a little more difficult but it is looking like a new Samsung washer and dryer set is in my future.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to buy the NEW motor control board that I posted the link to above.:)

Can you return the refurbished control board for a full refund and tell them it only worked for 1 load?

As techs we always use NEW parts and it always fixes it for good.

Your motor isn't eating the board.

Jake

wylee

Premium Member
I ordered a new motor control board from repairclinic.com last night at 18:30 and had it in my hands shortly after noon today. Fedex overnight shipping was pretty reasonable IMO and the washer is working again. I post an update in a few days to confirm it is still working.

I'm not sure putting $200 in a 12 year old washer was a sound financial decision but some quick google searches led me to believe Samsung should probably be avoided and an Electrolux set was more than I wanted to shell out now. I haven't had to do much to this Frigidaire set in 12 years and have found it relatively easy to find service information and parts when I have needed to make repairs. I'll probably stick with Electrolux when the time comes to buy replacements.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

wylee

Premium Member
Still going strong. Safe to say the refurbished board was junk. (y)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the NEW motor control board fixed it permanently .:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake