• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Icemaker stuck on crushed ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg544

Premium Member
Model Number
Frigidaire
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a two year old Frigidare side by side with a icemaker in the door. Last year just before the warranty expired the icemaker got stuck on crush ice, we could not get the cubed ice to work. We got this fixed under the warranty.

Now it is doing it again. Is there a way I could fix it myself. The repair man told my wife this is a common problem with Frigidares.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup , the repairman is right, i see it happen alot too on the frigidaire models, its easy to fix, just take out the ice bucket, then make sure the metal arm that extends out from the back of the bucket moves up and down freely, sometimes ice can jam it.

Also check that plunger that the arm sits in , its located inside the freezer where the dispenser bucket sits, to the right of the auger motor, make sure that white plunger moves up and down freely, thats it.:cool:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great to hear you got it going!:cool:

Thanks for the update!:)

Jake

npearman

Premium Member
I'm having the same issue with my frigidaire

The metal arm moves freely (just bought a new bucket assembly) and the plunger moves up and down freely. Could it be the solenoid that connects to the plunger or the switches behind the crushed/cube levers on the door. My model number is FRS24WSG. Thanks for the help.

Nathan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, is the auger motor turning or humming at all?

Jake

npearman

Premium Member
Yes, the auger motor runs fine and it does dispense crushed ice. I just can't get it to dispense cubed ice. If I open the freezer and lift up on the arm attached to the ice bin, cubed ice will fall out of the bin. It just seems like the plunger solenoid is not working correctly and lifting the arm up to dispense cubes when I select cube on the front panel. I'm just trying to decide if it's the plunger solenoid that is bad or if it could be the micro switches in the front panel that are bad and not sending a signal to the solenoid to lift the arm up. Do the plunger solenoids have a history of going bad? Thanks

Nathan

ftohm

Hi Nathan,

I have the same problem that happens every couple weeks.

The fix for me was already reported in a previous post.

Also check that plunger that the arm sits in , its located inside the freezer where the dispenser bucket sits, to the right of the auger motor, make sure that white plunger moves up and down freely, thats it.

Th white plunger in the back of the freezer freezes up and sticks in the up position which only gives crushed ice. You have to remove the ice dispencing unit by sliding it out and then reach back and pull the white sliding tab down. You should be able to slide it up and down with your finger about an inch easily if it is working correctly.

This fixes mine every couple weeks. Hopefully it will fix your issue.
Fred

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unlatch the Spring

Hello,

I have the same problem with my Electrolux. The solenoid switch is definiteley not working and is stuck in the crushed position. While waiting for a repair, I unlatched the spring from the silver post and now I have cubed ice all the time. Quick and free!

DF.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good thinking DF.:)

jAKE

doublesharp

Premium Member
This was my fix

I read the thread and tried to follow the steps listed.

The lever located inside the freezer back wall that actuates the plunger/rod to open or close the ice crushing function moved fine but was automatically returning to the up position when no pressure was applied to it.
Because of this the rod entered the square opening while the lever was raised and the rod was never moved (or contacted).

I used a small length of thin wire to loop behind the lever and back out so that I could grab it. That way I could pull the lever down as I slid the ice tray back into place. I wrapped the wire around the metal support structure for the ice tray to keep tension on the lever while replacing the tray/bucket.

It worked for me.

GW1159111

Thanks Guys or Gals

The easy fix worked for me. Just needed to unstick the plunger. Wala !!! cubed ice again. Thank you for your forum it has saved me literally thousands of dollars in repairs for myself and my friends...

John Miller

Jake, 5 months of only crushed ice, I finally give in a do a quick Google search, read your reply and BAM! I have normal ice again! Thanks a ton, I am putting in a tip for sure!!

John Miller

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John, good job.:)

Thanks.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.