Not open for further replies.

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
Model Number
Frig/Ken 417
Brand
-major brand-
Given all the talk on here lately about these, I think it's time for some useful information on this subject.

These machines have two different types of door catch/lock:

This is Frigidaire part number 131279001, and was fitted up until about 2001 - they were originally white, but subsequently changed to black (apparently a different grade of plastic). Its matching door lock is 137523400, which I will go into in a little more detail shortly.

This is Frigidaire part number 131763310, fitted on the newer models.

Its matching door lock is 131763202.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. The "old" door lock 131269401 is no longer manufactured.
If you try to order it, you'll get Frigidaire part number 137523400...

This is a conversion kit for older machines. Follow the instructions that come with it and you'll be OK. It includes the new style catch 131763310. Note that the instructions tell you to pull the rubber boot back slightly for installation - it is possible to fit the new lock without doing this.

Some older machines may have already had this kit fitted (I did several), but parts lists either with the machine or online may still point to the old style parts. Visually check what type you have before ordering. Bear in mind that you MUST change the lower counterweight, even though it's a PITA - the new style lock is "fatter" than the old one, and the counterweight is slimmed down to accommodate it.

One other word - the plastic door catches are NOT interchangable. If you change the lock, you MUST change the catch. Similarly, only use the old-style catch with the original lock. It is possible to get the new catch into the old lock, but getting it back out is another matter altogether......

Here endeth today's lesson :D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Lesson Mad Mac!

I will make it as Important!

Jake

drkildrum

Hi

Can you tell me what to do when the door locks and will not open? I shut it last night, ran a load and it will not open, I ran a final spin to try again, I unpluged and still I am not having any luck.. Thank you

Dr. Kildrum

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Well, after or during you've used choice cuss words at it, Get a hammer, pry bar, and a 6 pack, and your set to go!!!

Just kidding, but sometimes you feel like thats what you wanna do!

Yesterday i had a Maytag front loader with the door locked and would not open, But on the Maytag tech. sheets, there is a series of codes that you have to follow to isolate the door latch assembly, and energize/de-energize it, which i got it opened after i did that, but i had to order a new latch assembly to solve the problem.

But on the Frigidaire/Kenmore front loaders, there is not a series of codes to do that. The only way that i know is just pull hard, the door strike will probably break, but its only a $5.00 part. Then you would need a new door latch assembly, due to its malfunction in not letting the door unlock after the power/cycle is off.

Jake

bmsd

Premium Member
I have a Frigidaire Gallery Line Front loader washer model #FWT647GH with a door lock problem. You describe "old" and "new" versions using the different door locks. If my unit has a white latch, is it definitely the older model and, thus, needing the conversion kit?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Mad Mac wrote:
Only sure way is to check the profile of the two catches as shown above.
...or by looking it up by models number.

BTW. "FWT647GH" does NOT look to be a complete model number.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

bmsd

Premium Member
It is the white one, as pictured in this thread. So, I should be able to simply install the new version latch , right?

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
Dan O. wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:
Only sure way is to check the profile of the two catches as shown above.
...or by looking it up by models number.
Generally sound advice Dan, but I'd refer you to what I said above about parts lists possibly still pointing to the old latch when the machine has been "retrofitted" with the new one.

BMSD, if the profile of yours matches the white one, then you need the new latch to match it.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Mad Mac wrote
what I said above about parts lists possibly still pointing to the old latch when the machine has been "retrofitted" with the new one.
You're right, my mistake. :?

Dan O.

mikeschumann

Replacing Door Lock

What is the best way to replace the door lock? Are there any service manuals available to download that describes this procedure?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not that I know off, you can buy the Repair Manual Here.

Jake

Fezwick

First of all, thanks for all the great information in this post so far, it's helped out a TON.

Just wondering if anyone knows where the wiring goes to from the two prong connector on the door latch (where the white plastic rectangular connector is). I found that on my washer, that connector is cracked and probably not completing the circuit for the fast final spin.

Anyone else have the same problem?

girvan@pacbell.net

Premium Member
Is top access required?

Hello

This information is very useful.

I have a broken older style lock and have ordered the newer style part with wiring harness on its way in a few days. My machine is stacked and in VERY tight awkward spot.

My question is will I need access from the top of the machine for the new wiring harness? If so I need to plan ahead to get some physical help to unstack etc.

I already removed the old lock so I have access from the bottom and through the rubber surround.

Thanks

Girvan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its been awhile since I changed one of these, does it look like your wire harness comes from the bottom? if so, then you shouldn't need to remove the top.

Jake

girvan@pacbell.net

Premium Member
Still waiting for the parts. Since the failure wasn not planned we have a backlog of washing! So I fixed the old latch with some minature bolts.

It might now work for another week or a few years.

Easy to see why they changed the design and now after 8 years all the nylon parts are brittle.

alachua

Premium Member
Going to go ahead a bump this thread (four years ago? really?!) with my first post, so here I go:

I have a Frigidaire/Electrolux front-load washer and my door lock broke, so I replaced it. It is the new style (131763310), same as the one I replaced. The catch is white (which I thought was the new model of catch), so now I've gotten myself a little confused. The door locks and runs fine, though.

Now onto the reason I had to replace the lock in the first place: the door seems to sag so that you have to pull the door upward when closing it (not pulling it upward caused the plastic of the lock to break). When I took the door off, I noticed it didn't have a counterweight (so that wouldn't explain the sagging of the door. I took a look at the door-hinge assembly and it seems to be fine. It just slides up and down a little. Is this a common problem? How can I fix this? It's nothing too big, I suppose, it's just a PITA to have to lift the door upward when opening and closing it.

Thanks,
M.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Going to go ahead a bump this thread (four years ago? really?!) with my first post, so here I go:

I have a Frigidaire/Electrolux front-load washer and my door lock broke, so I replaced it. It is the new style (131763310), same as the one I replaced. The catch is white (which I thought was the new model of catch), so now I've gotten myself a little confused. The door locks and runs fine, though.

Now onto the reason I had to replace the lock in the first place: the door seems to sag so that you have to pull the door upward when closing it (not pulling it upward caused the plastic of the lock to break). When I took the door off, I noticed it didn't have a counterweight (so that wouldn't explain the sagging of the door. I took a look at the door-hinge assembly and it seems to be fine. It just slides up and down a little. Is this a common problem? How can I fix this? It's nothing too big, I suppose, it's just a PITA to have to lift the door upward when opening and closing it.

Thanks,
M.
Ok, I've run into this problem before many times when that door sags, you'll need to replace both door hinges.

We need the model number of yours.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: What is a model number and where do I find it?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, sorry I meant to say just door hinge, not hinges, you have only one hinge for your washer door.

Yes, thats all you need to order, not the frame.

Here's the door hinge for your model you can order:
Frigidaire 134550800 Door Hinge

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.