• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Frigidaire microwave not working after replacing door handle

abbyqueue

Premium Member
Model Number
FMV157GM
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi all! I bought a microwave through Craigslist. It's an over-the-range Frigidaire model. Installed it and worked great, but had a broken handle. We replaced the handle a few weeks ago by pulling off the door frame and all that, so now the handle is fixed but now the microwave doesn't work. When I put in a time to cook and hit Start, the light comes on and the timer begins countdown but the actual motor/fan/whathaveyou doesn't come on. Did we damage something when replacing the handle?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When you replaced the door handel did you get the latch levers installed correctly? Take a look at the diagram
#11 is the part I'm referring to

abbyqueue

Premium Member
I don't think we had to take the door latch part out. We took out the first frame of the door, then there was a second one we had to take out to get to the door handle screws, but I don't remember the latches themselves coming out at any time. I'll double check with the wife to be sure though.

Hmm... I wonder why it didn't post? OK, I'll try something different.

rickgburton

Staff member
There's one screw holding the control panel on. Remove that screw and the control panel will come off then you'll be able to see if the levers are closing the microswitches.

abbyqueue

Premium Member
There's one screw holding the control panel on. Remove that screw and the control panel will come off then you'll be able to see if the levers are closing the microswitches.
My wife just confirmed that we did not remove those latches during handle replacement.

What exactly am I looking for when I remove the control panel and where is that screw?

rickgburton

Staff member
The screw is located on the top of the control panel. You might have to remove the grill to access it. Once you remove the control panel you'll be able to see the latch assembly. The levers on the door go through the holes and into the latch assembly where it pushes down on the small microswitch buttons. I think when you took the door apart something didn't go back together correctly and the levers are not closing/activating one or more of the microswitches. By opening and closing the door you'll be able to see if they are working correctly. Those levers on the door are spring loaded so there should be some resistance when you lift up on them.

abbyqueue

Premium Member
We took the single screw out of the top of the control panel but are still trying to pry the face of it off the microwave...

The screw is located on the top of the control panel. You might have to remove the grill to access it. Once you remove the control panel you'll be able to see the latch assembly. The levers on the door go through the holes and into the latch assembly where it pushes down on the small microswitch buttons. I think when you took the door apart something didn't go back together correctly and the levers are not closing/activating one or more of the microswitches. By opening and closing the door you'll be able to see if they are working correctly. Those levers on the door are spring loaded so there should be some resistance when you lift up on them.

abbyqueue

Premium Member
Okay, sorry for the great delay. Finally got the control panel off. I see what you're referring to -- little white buttons almost. They make a clicking sound when you depress them. The door appears to be activating both buttons when it's closed. As far as we can tell anyway. Are there any other options?

We took the single screw out of the top of the control panel but are still trying to pry the face of it off the microwave...

abbyqueue

Premium Member
Also, since the light goes off when you close the door, doesn't that indicate that the door is closed and those buttons have been depressed?

rickgburton

Staff member
No, there are three micro switches and a switch lever. Each one has a different job. Only one is for the light. The only way you can tell if they are working is with an ohmmeter. Remove at least one wire from the switch you're testing.
the handle is fixed but now the microwave doesn't work.
I would think that since the microwave was working until you fixed the handle, it has to have something to do with one of those switches or the latch lever in the door. After you fixed the door did it work for a second or two then stop? Where there any sparks or noises when you first tried it? Can you lift the lever on the door and feel the spring tension? Is the door closing all the way?

abbyqueue

Premium Member
So are the little white buttons that click the switch lever or micro switches?

After we fixed the door, it just didn't work, not even for a second. No sparks. No nothing. We can lift both levers on the door and they're both fine -- very springy. The door seems to be closing all the way. I hate the fact that switching out a damn handle led us to this. How ridiculous of modern appliances.

Anyway, we don't have an ohmmeter. I guess we need to go buy one of those?