• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Mini Refrigerator Defrost Timer Replacement Help W10822278 UET120 DBYC903BL

Durwood

Premium Member
Model Number
FRT045GM
Brand
Frigidaire
I need help. I have a Frigidaire Mini Refrigerator Model # FRT045GM and the defrost timer went out.
It came with Defrost Timer # DBYC903BL. That timer went out and would never kick over to the defrost mode. When I manually turned the timer it was fine and would defrost. Timer = dead. Does not advance. I

tried ordering the China made DBYC903BL and that is just not possible. I knew that I could replace it with a common timer and found that the Whirlpool W10822278 or the Supco UET120 could replace it. I tried. Epic fail.

First, I bought the W10822278 and when that one didn't work, I picked up the UET120 and tried it. Nothing.

I cannot get the compressor to fire up.

When I plug the old one back in, the compressor fires up fine.

The problem with BOTH replacement timers is that I am getting power TO the timer, but I cannot get power out of the #4 terminal of the timer. I've turned, rotated and reset the timers and still nothing out of the compressor terminal. When I put the original, broken one back in, it fires right up.

The wiring on all three timers is the same:

Terminal 1: Blue - Common Line
Terminal 2: Red - Defrost Heater
Terminal 3: Brown - Power to Timer Motor
Terminal 4: Black/Purple - Compressor

Any ideas? Please? I really need to get this refrigerator going!

Thanks!

Daryl

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I think this one will work for you...

Defrost-Timer-5304470332--01228065.jpg Timer Manufacturer Number 5304470332

jeff.

rickgburton

Staff member
The wiring is most likely not the same, just the numbers. I need to see the refrigerator wiring diagram to tell you what wire goes where. Ignore the numbers on the timer and put the wires on the same place they were on the old timer.See if this helps:
005 Defrost Strip Circuit.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, I love Rick's illustration's.:)

Jake

Durwood

Premium Member
The wiring is most likely not the same, just the numbers. I need to see the refrigerator wiring diagram to tell you what wire goes where. Ignore the numbers on the timer and put the wires on the same place they were on the old timer.See if this helps:
View attachment 10871

Here is the frig wiring diagram.
..image.jpg

what I did was took this diagram and matched the wiring diagram supplied with both timers.

Durwood

Premium Member
Rick - I just fixed it based on your tip "ignore the numbers on the timer." There is one isolated terminal and then a group of three. I put the blue on the isolated terminal (like the stock one had) and then just plugged in each terminal in order left to right. Fired right up. You are the man!

I'm glad I fixed it with the $11 timer. I did not want to order a DBYC timer for $65, since the original one only lasted 10 months!

Frig is running - and momma is happy. Happy wife happy life!

Thanks everyone

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
As long as it is NOT my wife calling me speedy gonzales!
LOL, isn't that the truth.:)

Thanks everyone

Good job!

momma is happy
If Momma Ain’t Happy, Ain’t Nobody Happy, LOL:p

Jake

StanW

Premium Member
Is your $11 timer UET120 or 483212 ?
I used Whirlpool 482493 to replace the dead DBYC903BL of my Frigidaire fridge, but it only lasts one and half months, then stuck in defrost mode. Now I am thinking of using UET120.

Rick - I just fixed it based on your tip "ignore the numbers on the timer." There is one isolated terminal and then a group of three. I put the blue on the isolated terminal (like the stock one had) and then just plugged in each terminal in order left to right. Fired right up. You are the man!

I'm glad I fixed it with the $11 timer. I did not want to order a DBYC timer for $65, since the original one only lasted 10 months!

Thanks everyone

jtharp723

Premium Member
I have the same fridge and had the same problem as the original poster. I ordered the Supco UET120 and installed it per Ricks instruction and the fridge worked. I then push teh cycle button on the timer to make sure it would cycle over to deforst which also worked, but then it would never cycle back to run mode. After about 2 hours I pushed the cycle button again to get it back over to run mode, but teh timer just kinda buzzes like an alarm clock but the compressor never comes on. I have even unhooked it all and reconneted thinking something might reset, but no luck at all. I have been messing around with it now for about 4 days and am at a loss. Any chance the new timer is bad? or would this indicate that maybe the problem is with something other than the timer. Any help or advise you can provide would be most appreciated.

rickgburton

Staff member
Cycle button on the timer?? What's the model number? What problem were you having that made you decide to replace the defrost timer? Do you still have the old timer? Do you have the wiring diagram for your machine and a VOM?

jtharp723

Premium Member
The Supco UET120 has a cycle button (http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/Manuals-Instructions/UET Installation & Operating Instructions.pdf) The model number of the fridge is a Fridigaire FRT045GM, the reason for replacing the defrost timer is the fridge will run for about a week and then cut off and will stay off. You can open the box on the back and turn the dail on the defrost timer and the fridge will come back on and run again for about a week and then the same thing all over. If you do not advance the dail on the defrost timer it will never come back on. I do have the old timer, it is a DBYC903BL, but I do not have the wiring diagram for the fridge. I connected the Supco replacement timer exactly the way you told the originator of this post by the ignoring the numbers and putting them in the same order and it worked great until I tried that cycle button. Thanks again for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, first recheck your model number. I can't get anything to come up with that one. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Heating & Cooling Parts. 365 day returns. then follow the link “Help me find my model number”. Any numbers on parts are usually production numbers or lot numbers from the company that manufactured the part and not part numbers by the refrigerator manufacturer. Take a picture of the old timer and post it here. (don't take a picture of an 80 year old man...LOL). I have never used one of those electronic defrost timers before so I don't know how they are constructed internally. Was the original timer not available or too expensive?

jtharp723

Premium Member
The original timer was available, but for like $70 and I only spent $150 for the fridge and its 2 years old. I figured if it could be fixed cheap I would keep it and
find a use for it, but have already bought anopther dorm fridge for the sone so now this one is just sitting in the garage. I did double check teh model numbers for the fridge and the timer and have attached a picture of each. I also attached a picture of the wiring to the Supco timer.

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0708.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

rickgburton

Staff member
OK my friend, here's where we're at. It's a mini fridge and probably the reason I can't look it up. It also has one of those timers made in China (your old timer) and I can't tell just by looking where the wires are coming from. The replacement timer doesn't use a timer motor even though it shows one between #1 and #3 and I don't know the configuration internally. I'm almost positive it's a wiring issue but without a wiring diagram, knowing how the electronic timer is connected or how the old timer was connected, I think we've reached an impasse. The only way I would be able to help you is if you traced each wire on the timer back and told me what its connected to. It looks like you have a blue, red, brown and black (with purple wire attached) wire connected to the defrost timer. One of the wires will be connected to either the main power cord or the cold control. One is connected to the defrost heater or the defrost thermostat. One is connected to the compressor and one is connected to the neutral side of the power cord. If you can give that information I can tell you how to connect them to a mechanical defrost timer like the one in post #14, not your new electronic timer. It may be the same but I don't know.