• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Mini Refrigerator Defrost Timer Replacement Help W10822278 UET120 DBYC903BL

rv888

Premium Member
It had the original one other's have posted for this same model. When I have the flying lead on 1, it does a full cycle but stops. I put a small mark on it with a Sharpie. It will go one full cycle around. Once it hits the defrost cycle again, it heats up, stops heating, and then nothing else happens. As soon as I manually move it a little, it clicks, and the compressor starts back up. I'll try a full day on 2. I thought you had previously mentioned that this model couldn't handle it on 2, and it will need to be blow dried in a few weeks. But it if works, I guess I will stick with it there. Here's hoping. Thanks again.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here, this might help. The timer motor is 120 VAC You'll need to see if the wiring is the same:
Continuous run Cumulative run.jpg

aliby

Hi there,

I have been having the same problems with my FRT045GB - No cooling. I ended up replacing the starter relay some time ago, and it seemed to help things for a week or so.

However, then it stopped working again. It seems to be a similar issue as rv888 is having with his new defrost timer, except mine exists with my current/the original defrost timer that came with the unit.

What I mean is that the defrost timer seems to go one full cycle around. However, it never enters the cooling phase again and the refridgerator and freezer warm back up to room temperature. As soon as I manually move the defrost timer a little, it clicks, and the compressor starts back up.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? Is it time to replace the defrost timer?

NobodyNowhere

Premium Member
Hi, I'm pretty sure I've read throughly through this thread and was wondering if somebody could provide me with some help? I have the fridge this thread is discussing, originally replaced the motor starter and solid state relay but that did not fix the problem, had the issue with the timer not going into defrost so the fridge would stop cooling after about a week, replaced it with the 482493 timer as suggested in this thread, including reterminating the harness so that I could plug the proper leads into the proper spades and it seemed to work. However after just 2-3 days I noticed that the fridge was warm, I checked the timer, took it off, put it back on, and it fired up again. Again after only 2 days it stopped cooling and this time I noticed that the timing motor was not spinning anymore to turn the gears to complete the cycle. After I have taken it off, put the flying lead on terminal 2 instead of 1 where it was originally, still nothing, took it off again, manually turned the mechanism and put it back on, and it fired up again. Another two days pass and the same problem happens, however the timer will not turn back on if I manually advance the time while plugged in. Is it possible that I have a bad timer? More likely that I have switched wires around when hooking all of these things back up that is causing this? Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member
Don't go by the numbers on the timer. Take a picture of the timer and how you have it wired and post it here.

Autumn

Premium Member
Rick - I just fixed it based on your tip "ignore the numbers on the timer." There is one isolated terminal and then a group of three. I put the blue on the isolated terminal (like the stock one had) and then just plugged in each terminal in order left to right. Fired right up. You are the man!

I'm glad I fixed it with the $11 timer. I did not want to order a DBYC timer for $65, since the original one only lasted 10 months!

Frig is running - and momma is happy. Happy wife happy life!

Thanks everyone

=====================================

Hello Daryl, Hi Rick
I have this same Fridge, and this exact same problem.
This Fridge broke, the repairman came, used a screwdriver turned the timer, it started working, I paid him, he left, 1 day later the fridge stop working, I called the repairman back, he doesn't answer the call. I called a different repairman, he told me it will be close to $200 to replace the timer. I guess they are trying to get as much money out of me as possible. I figure if I can't get it fixed myself with help from this forum, I will just junk it.

Can you please please help? I can't quite understand what you and Rick are talking about here, but I will try to see if I can copy what you did without understanding all the technical diagrams.
Did you buy Amazon.com: Supco UET120 Defrost Timer: Home Improvement ?
And did you have to rewire? Is it possible for you to send me a picture of how you have it plugged in to the timer or wired? Thank you So..... much. I am hoping you are still reading this forum.

Thanksss muchhhhh !!

IMG_3081.JPG

Autumn

Premium Member
Good evening Rick,

First of all Thank you for your reply.
I read through this entire thread and *WOW* you are good !! I am now really determine to get this fridge going... It will be great fun.
I totally don't know what I am doing here !! Can I PlEEEEase tap into your brain :eek:

From reading the whole thread I summarized it to the following todo's for me, please tell me if I am off, THANK YOU !!
1. order timer 482493 - Whirlpool W10822278 Timer-Def - AppliancePartsPros.com ; which the picture you send above (the USA one).
2. wired it like the following picture

timer wiring.jpg

Question please:
1. Where can I buy those metal thing in the picture I posted to connect the wires to the timer please? What are they called?
I actually took this picture from post #44.
2. Can I just use some electrical tape and connect/tape them together instead of using these metal things?

Thank you sooooo much,
Autumn

rickgburton

Staff member
Hi Autumn, first, is your model number the same? If your machine is the same model then you got it! I added the wires in my last image. Yours is wired like the one on the left. Make sure it's wired like the one on the right. The wire terminals are already on your wires. Carefully use a pair of pliers and break off the plastic connector around them. If you smash one, any of the home centers carry them. They are called wire spade connectors. They make two types. One you need to solder and one you need to just crimp. Be sure to get the ones you just need to crimp. Cut the wire so it has a straight edge. Strip about 1/4" of the wire insulation off. Put the terminal on the wire and crimp it tight with a pair of pliers. Do NOT use any tape to secure a wire!

Autumn

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Yes, my fridge model number is the same FRT045GB.
Got it! I ordered the new timer (on the right), and some wire spade connectors. I will connect when I get them, fingers cross. Thanks much again !!

Autumn

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Unbelieveable !! I had to cut the wire and replace the spade connectors with bigger ones because the new timer has bigger pins.
After that I connect them to the new timer, plugged the fridge in, and...... it didn't explode, it has been working since 11:00pm last night :) :) :) :) - made ice cube in the freezer and water is very cold in the fridge.
Thanks you so.... much for all your guidance !! If I ( a 5'1", 97lb woman) can follow your instruction to fix this, anyone can.

One last questions, see picture below please: I just leave the timer exposed in the back of the fridge, it use to be in the same location but in a box screwed to the fridge. This new timer is bigger and doesn't fit in the box, is this OK?
should I find a box to put it in or do anything to situate it better?

fridge.JPG

Thank YOU so...... much Rick !!

Best Regards,
Autumn.

rickgburton

Staff member
You're welcome Autumn! The timer will be OK just sitting there. If you have some of those plastic wire ties you can secure it through one of the holes in the timer and the refrigerator frame. If not, it's fine. You're the perfect size for getting into those tight places...lol.

Autumn

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Done, I have the timer secure with plastic tie. Thanks a million for all your guidance !!