• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Model FFHS2611LWMA very loud knocking sound before dumping ice

marieg4iHm

Premium Member
Model Number
FFHS2611LWMA
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi,

This noise started out a year or so ago as a tapping. It has recently progressed to a loud knocking or banging sound right before the ice is dumped. The cooling on both sides is fine and ice is still being made and dumped. The large and small gears have no missing teeth.

Ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We would need to hear the noise. If you can make a video of this noise and upload it here, that would help us to determine what it is.

Its best to upload the video in the .mp4 format. Or upload to Youtube and post the video here.

Thanks

marieg4iHm

Premium Member
It just did it again, but this time we had the cover off, exposing the small and large white gears. None of the teeth are broken, but the larger gear appears to be stuck. The smaller gear is attempting to move it. It stopped by the time I got my phone ready. However, the sound was back to the tapping that it's been making for years. It was not the loud knocking sound it had grown to. The only thing we had done was use a hair dryer in there. We just watched a video and learned about the ice cube size screw above the gears so we turned it hoping that it will cause the cubes to be smaller and ease the job of the ice maker.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There you go.:)

That tapping its been doing for years is normal, its the evaporator making that boiling sound. The owners manual says that's normal as well.

Jake

marieg4iHm

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Since turning the screw a number of full turns we confirmed that the ice cube size is smaller and the knocking is back to the original tapping. Also, there are fewer taps before the ice dumps. Thanks again. Marie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so its ok now?

Jake

marieg4iHm

Premium Member
It's tapping with more frequency now, which I guess is because it takes less time to complete an ice cycle with the smaller cubes. It seems to be getting louder again, but that could simply be a matter of me focusing on it. There is definitely no ice stuck anywhere and the ice is being made and dumped with no issues.

It still appears that the smaller gear has a hard time turning the larger one, though. I am going to make sure I get a video of it the next time, which should be in an hour or so.

Thank you.

Marie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Marie, please do upload a video in the .mp4 format. I will need to hear it.

Jake