• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire model FRS3HR5JMB2 fridge side by side, ice maker leakes when water dispenser is activated

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS3HR5JMB2
Brand
Frigidaire
I am hoping someone can help. I have a Frigidaire side by side fridge with ice maker that leaks water from the ice maker when the water dispenser is activated. The fridge was not hooked up to water ever until tihis weekend that is when I noticed the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
Ok I finally got the diode kit, and installed it. The same thing is happening when I press water it dispenses from both the water and the ice maker.

rickgburton

Staff member
Either the new diodes are bad are there's a problem with connections. If you're sure you installed them correctly, then return them for another set. That's the only thing that can cause both solenoids to open at the same time.

rickgburton

Staff member
Diodes have an anode and cathode. If you install them backwards it won't work.

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
Could water pressure cause a problem? I also tried disconnecting the connector for the ice maker valve but still both run

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
IMG_0160[1].jpg This is the connector I disconnected that looks like it is to the ice maker side but water still comes from both

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
With both connectors, the yellow and green, disconnected when I press the water dispenser nothing comes out it but there is still water out the ice maker. Maybe it is pressure?

rickgburton

Staff member
Take the connector off the water valve also so the isolation valve is the only solenoid connected to power and push the dispenser lever. Does the ice maker sill overfill? If it does it might be a faulty valve.

rickgburton

Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
It sounds like a bad valve. The ice maker solenoid is not closing all the way.

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
Thanks for your help, I tapped on the valve for the ice maker side and it is now working and closing correctly. As I said this has never been hooked up on this fridge before and it seems to have been stuck for that reason. The only problem now is that the icemaker itself is not working to turn on the water valve and to run through its rotation. Is there a way to test the ice maker?

I know the valve is working because I switched connectors to activate the ice maker side with the water dispenser and it worked.

rickgburton

Staff member
Remove the cover on the ice maker, use a flat blade screwdriver in the center of the smaller motor gear and turn it counter clockwise so the larger white gear starts turning clockwise. The harvest cycle should start. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice maker supplies the water valve with 110 VAC.

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
I have done that but there is no water at the end of cycle. I was wondering if there was a way to test if it is sending the power it is supposed to.

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
Oh wait it looks like it shot some water just not very much, I will adjust the screw for water and see if that helps

rickgburton

Staff member
I think you're going about it all wrong. The water adjustment screw on the ice maker hardly ever needs to be adjusted. Mostly for water pressures issues and then only a 1/4 turn. It only has a maximum of one turn. The ice maker wasn't getting any water because water from the leaking valve froze in the line. You should replace the valve. The water valve was leaking so you tapped on the solenoid. Now it's stopped leaking but not filling the ice maker all the way so instead of replacing the valve you're adjusting the fill screw on the ice maker. These parts don't fix themselves. Just because you got it to stop leaking by tapping on it doesn't mean it won't leak again. It could just stop working altogether. Instead of under filling next time it might over fill or the valve might just stick open, then you're going to have a real mess. Then, when you finally replace the valve with a new one, the ice maker will make blocks of ice instead of cubes because it's getting too much water. Before you adjust the fill screw, start another harvest cycle. Set your meter to check VAC and disconnect the two wire connector on the solenoid and insert your meter probes in the two wires. When the harvest cycle gets to the end and calls for water, you should see 110 VAC for about 7 seconds. My professional opinion would be to just replace the valve and be done with it. Whatever your decision, good luck.

Xcalibur45

Premium Member
I have a new valve already on order, I just wanted to be able to check that that is in fact the issue this time and not something else like the ice maker itself. I am aware of the potential risk with the valve, but I figured while waiting on the valve I could test a couple other things to see if they are working correctly. Instead of waiting 3 weeks to get valve, install it to find out I need something else again and waiting another 3 weeks. I just wanted to be sure everything else if functioning as it should.