• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Oven Not Heating

johnsweaver

Premium Member
Model Number
PLEB30S9DCA
Brand
Frigidaire
And the appliance woes continue....

First, thanks for the help on the dishwasher last month. New one is working great.

However, about 15' away the oven seems to have caught the same sickness.

Frigidaire PLEB30S9DCA stopped heating. My wife put something in to cook last night and opened it when the timer went off it hadn't cooked at all. She said it did preheat to the set temp (325) but when we opened the oven the thermometer we keep in there said under 200.

I tried turning it on again for both bake and broil and neither element would heat. It 'clicks' like it normally would but never starts heating. I also tried it again this morning when it was completely cool and still neither element would heat.

There are no codes on the control board and the display appears to be acting normally.

We have not done any self cleaning lately and have probably only used that function only 3 times in the life of the oven.

Where should I start my diagnosis? I see there are temperature probes and safety thermostats that could be the culprit. I doubt it's the elements since neither one will work...although I could be wrong about that since I don't know the logic of the unit. I'd like to have a plan in place before I tear apart the kitchen.

This thing is in a cabinet, below the cooktop so it's going to be a bear.

Any help on the first few items to check would be greatly appreciated. I'm competent with a multimeter so I can test for continuity, resistance, etc as required.

Regards,

John

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Good thing bad thing, there is a resettable thermal protecter located on the back of the oven. There's a red button in the center of it that may need to be pushed in and reset. Start there. Here's what it looks like:
Thermoprotector 318004900 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Thermoprotector-318004900-01295633.jpg

johnsweaver

Premium Member
OK. Oven partially removed and the back is off. I pushed the button on the back of the thermal protector but it didn't do anything. No click or anything. Turned the power back on and same problem. Then I checked it for continuity and it was good...no resistance.

On a whim, I checked the two other thermostats and they are open...which seems correct looking at the wiring diagram.

I also tried to check the temperature probe, but the holes were too small for my multimeter pokers to fit into. Could that even be causing this problem?

So...what next? I'm at a loss.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to go check connections and some voltages now.

Thanks,

John

johnsweaver

Premium Member
Man...everything else appears good. At this point I'm guessing EOC.

But I'll wait to hear a more educated opinion.

John

rickgburton

Staff member
I checked the two other thermostats and they are open
They should be closed. Each one of those thermostats has a wire going to an element either bake or broil, correct? I'm looking at a wiring diagram for a similar model but not that exact model so I could be wrong.

johnsweaver

Premium Member
I don't believe these go to the elements.

The wiring diagram I'm looking at is on the last page of this link:

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Lassomption/5995418208.pdf

I'm pretty sure they should be open until it gets too hot. In any event, I bypassed them and the fan turned on when I turned the power back on...like I would expect from the diagram. And the problem still existed with the thermostats bypassed.

rickgburton

Staff member

johnsweaver

Premium Member
Thanks Rick - I'll order the EOC today and let you know what happens.

Good luck with the rest of your day. :)

johnsweaver

Premium Member
The EOC arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Pretty easy install. The worst part was getting the face panel to pop back into place...well that and the freaking trim piece on the bottom that clearly wasn't made for a normal human to install easily.

Anyway, we appear to be back in business. It fired right back up and appears to be working normally. Set it at 425 Bake and the oven thermometer we used showed 430-435. Close enough for us.

Hope it doesn't break again as that was an expensive part. Speaking of that part, is there any core value to it? I hate to trash it for what I'm sure is one bad diode. If it were repairable I'd fix it and keep as a spare.

Thanks for all your help.

John

rickgburton

Staff member
Good job John! My expertise ends at the board. If you take the diode to Radio Shack, they can get you one like it.