• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Frigidaire Refrigerator FFSS2614QE0 every now and then when i get ice i get crushed ice, the selector is set for cubes

corvairbob

Premium Member
Model Number
FFSS2614QE0
Brand
Frigidaire
i have the FFSS2614QE0 model Frigidaire side by side unit and every now and then when i get ice i get crushed ice, the selector is set for cubes. i open the door and push the ice unit back in about 1/4" and then i start getting cubes again.

so is there a fix for this issue? or do i have to build some kind of barrier to hold the ice unit back against the back of the auger motor? i have taken the unit out to see if anything is back behind it causing this but i have never found anything, no have i ever hear ice drop as i pulled the unit out to investigate it. i guess i can cut slots in the sides and get a pc of flat iron and use that to hold the ice maker assembly back up against the motor area but maybe there is another way. thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Look at part #49. The ice bucket slides on that bracket and then drops into the two holes in front, one on each side.
Snapshot_4.jpg

corvairbob

Premium Member
yes i know. i just did a test and if i push it back i get cubes and if i pull it forward and still in those slots i get crushed ice. and it does set in those slots good so i'm going to measure the probes and either make blockers that will only allow the bucket to set all the way back or add to the probes to force it to set all the way back.

what is so confusing is why that happens. maybe i will take the bucket u=out tomorrow and take a peek at how it sets in there and see if i can figure out why just by moving it forward 1/4" causes it to crush the ice instead of cubes. i have not yet looked to see what way the thing turns when in the crush mode. if it is a matter just taking out the blade for crushed i may just do that. but tomorrow i will give it a good going over to see just how it works. thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The default position is crushed ice. Look on the side of the ice bucket and you'll see a log rod with a spring. The end of the rod goes into a solenoid and yoke assembly. When calling for cubes, the solenoid is energized and pulls the rod down and that causes the ice to be channeled past the crusher blades

corvairbob

Premium Member
your not talking about the arm that shuts off the ice maker are you? in the diagram all i see is that arm for shutting off the ice maker. so what is that arm you are referring to? what part number on the posted diagram are you referring to? thanks

corvairbob

Premium Member
ok that must be a different part then. tomorrow i will dig into this. it might be that when the complete assembly gets pushed out a bit that part comes out of whatever it is suppose to hit and then it goes into default. i will check it all in the morning. thanks also i found a few other online discussions on this and they talk about a white plunger so i will look for all this in the morning. thanks much

corvairbob

Premium Member
yes thanks i'm thinking that actuator rod may be bent and when the complete unit is pulled just that small bit it is out of that yoke and then defaults into that crushed ode because the actuator arm is not in that yoke. what i will do tomorrow to confirm that is empty the ice bucket and then hold the buttons down and have the wife actuate the lever like she want ice and then i will watch that lever to see if it gets moved out of the crushed mode and then pull the bucket out and see if it stays in the default crushed ode. if it does that tells me the system is working and the lever must be bent or to short and gets pulled out of the actuator on the solenoid and can't be moved out of the way so it just stays in crushed mode. and when i push the bucket unit back that small amount i manage to get that lever back into the solenoid and it again works until the bucket works it's way out again. i will stop back and let you know how it goes. thanks

corvairbob

Premium Member
ok update. the rod is fine the spring is fine the lever in the crusher is fine. i took the ice out so i could work the unit in both crushed and cubed.

when i pulled out or pushed in with an empty bucket the door opened for cubes and stayed for crushed. now and then the solenoid stuck in the actuated position. but that fault would ten to make the unit make cubes and not crushed.

so i put ice back in and did the same tests and it made cubes when selected and crushed when selected, but when put back into cubes it made crushed for a bit before the cubes showed up. now that might just be the crushed ice was full inside the crusher unit and had to clear out before the cubes could be delivered.

i wonder if that solenoid was stuck up and when i took the bucked out it slipped into crushed mode and when i pushed the bucket back in place and it just barley made cubes with the bucket pushed all the way in and crushed when the bucket worked it's way back out that little bit? might never know unless the issue returns and then i will figure out a way to keep the door open so it will deliver just cubes, as that is all we ever ask for.

so for now this is solved thanks for the help on this dilemma! i did find some YouTube on this issue by the way
thanks

corvairbob

Premium Member
oh one more thing just for s & g i took the unit out and it has the parts still in it nothing missing. but i wanted to see why it sticks in the up position. there is plenty of slop for the plunger to move so maybe it had a bit of ice inside the coil and that caused the plunger to stick. well it was out long enough to melt and i assembled it and out it back in now to see if i get this issue again. and if so like i said above i will turn it into a manual crusher. again thanks for the ideas and help.