• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Frigidaire Refrigerator FFSS2614QS4A Ice Maker Won't Cycle

westau

Premium Member
Model Number
FFSS2614QS4A
Brand
Frigidaire
My refrigerator recently stopped producing ice. It doesn't seem to want to cycle the arm automatically. We were out of town for about 10 days for Christmas and didn't notice it wasn't producing ice until about a week after returning once the tray had run low on ice. When I first looked at it there was ice in the bottom and the arm was stopped on top of the ice before it had attempted to push the ice up/out.

Below are the things I've tried so far:
1. Turned the on/off arm several times
2. Confirmed that the freezer door switch works as expected(turns light on/off properly)
3. Changed the water filter for the unit in case of low pressure potential issues
4. Water dispenses properly out of the water side in the door. Water line behind the fridge doesn't seem kinked or anything
5. Checked the temperature in the freezer and it was ~0-5 degrees F with a touchless thermometer(Freezer is set to 7 out of 9 cold)
6. Turned off the unit using the control box within the fridge and turned back on
7. Checked the water line right above the ice maker, doesn't seem to have any clogs or frozen ice
8. Took the front of the ice maker off and can manually turn the arm. Was able to turn the arm so the ice in the unit came out but when I turned the switch back to the on position it didn't start the cycle.

Thanks for any potential help in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
8. Took the front of the ice maker off and can manually turn the arm. Was able to turn the arm so the ice in the unit came out but when I turned the switch back to the on position it didn't start the cycle.
You mean manually turn the gear? After you turned it manually about 1/4" of a turn did the gear run by-itself the rest of the way? Leave the ice maker ON when you do that and see if the gear turns by-itself

If not--->Use a multimeter between the BLACK and YELLOW wires where the ice maker plugs into your electrical connector, you should have 120 volts. If so, and your ice maker won't cycle, then your ice maker is bad. And you will need to order the new ice maker I posted the link to below.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
241798231 Ice Maker

Let us know what you find.

Jake

westau

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. Yes on manually turning the gear. I tried again with the ice maker ON but the gear still won't turn by itself after turning a bit.

I don't have a multimeter unfortunately but I do get some voltage from a Non contact voltage tester when placing it between the black and yellow wires on the ice maker side of the connection. Would this be sufficient to confirm that the issue is the ice maker itself or is there a potential that the voltage is less than 120 and I should consider getting a multimeter first to be sure?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to use a normal multimeter to get the exact voltage. But since your ice maker is powered with 120 volts AC, and your Non contact voltage tester did read voltage, then I'm pretty confident the problem is the ice maker itself.

I've replaced many of these same ice makers in my 35 years as a career appliance tech and I don't remember one that showed no/low voltage to it, it was always the ice maker itself that was the problem.

You can go to your local hardware store a get a inexpensive multimeter if you want to verify 120 volts.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.